Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Which Programming Language Should I Learn To Design My Website?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 compnoob88

compnoob88

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:25 AM

I'm planning to start a small business to sell my sewing (handicrafts like cosmetics cases, everyday bags, pencil cases, handphone cases, pouches etc.) I'm thinking of building a website/online store, to allow my business to appear in search listings, and help my sales.

The thing is, I don't know which programming language to learn, and would really like some advice:)

Some things I require from the website:
- I need to upload photographs of the items on sale. I'm thinking maybe a page showing all the thumbnails, and when you click on one the picture gets enlarged.
- I need to integrate Paypal, and credit card payment into the website.
- It needs to be aesthetically pleasing.
- Relatively small website.

I've done C and C++ in college, and I quite like programming. I just don't know which language I should learn for this purpose. I really don't mind any language, even if it is hard to learn, or very different from C and C++, or takes too long (I'll only be launching the website in about 12 months' time); as long as the end product is good. Also, I'm trying to cut costs, so it has to be free (or close to free) to learn it.

I don't know if this is a stupid question, but does the language used affect the speed of download? I don't want to lose views because of slow downloads...

Please advise me! Thanks!

#2 BlaineSch

BlaineSch

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:54 AM

PHP I believe to be the most common language online. Do you know HTML already?

If its 12 months and this is the only site you are creating it might just be cheaper and faster to hire somebody to do this.

#3 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:05 AM

I would start with HTML and CSS. Those are the languages that define how a page looks. Then I would add JavaScript and PHP to support things like online sales. You also may want to look into SQL for database support.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#4 compnoob88

compnoob88

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:25 PM

Hi, thanks for the replies!

BlaineSch:
Nope, I don't know HTML yet, just C and C++. Actually I'm really keen on doing this website, I've been thinking of learning web design for quite a while, even before I decided to set up this thing; I don't know if I will be designing any more in the future, but I'd love to add more languages to my repertoire, just for the heck of it:) But just out of curiosity, how much do you think something like this would normally cost?

WingedPanther:
Thanks, that was really detailed and helpful! I'll look into them soon...

Also, I just found out about content management systems; I read that you can get something like a template from Joomla or Drupal, and tinker with it until the website looks how you want it to. Is this a good idea, especially for the kind of website I'm building?

#5 BlaineSch

BlaineSch

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1559 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:40 PM

Cost? Free if you want lol

If you want to spend some money you could get some books but if you want I could email you a few ebooks or something I have a few you might like.

Learning HTML isnt hard you just gotta know where to look. This site below has HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL tutorials and walk throughs. You can learn everything here.

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials

If you wanna learn more advanced PHP you can always visit their website:
PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor

If you do not have hosting you can get free PHP hosting you can just do some tests on.
Google

If your just testing HTML just save your files in .html on your computer and open them up with your default browser and you should be great!

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:40 AM

WAMPserver is a very useful tool for testing, as well. If you're on Windows, it will allow you to use PHP, MySQL, etc on a Windows box and do all testing locally.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#7 jwxie518

jwxie518

Speaks fluent binary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

I personally would suggest to go with XAMPP it's also for Windows and I use it myself.
I might try WAMPserver later. Either one is good.

Hmm since you have learned C and C++, PHP is a very popular choice today. Plus, PHP is influence by languages like Java, C++, C, Perl.
It's free too....

#8 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

You need to learn a server side language such as PHP. Ruby is also a popular choice. You'll also need to learn HTML and probably need to learn JavaScript as well.

#9 relapse

relapse

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:09 AM

Sounds like you are trying to begin without having the needed tools. First learn HTML. Then CSS. Then you can pick a language like Ruby, PHP, or Perl. Then you'll probably want to expand out and learn a client-side web development language, JavaScript.

That is a lot on your plate. Have fun.

#10 GabryelFall

GabryelFall

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:11 AM

All these comments great. But all you really need is HTML. CSS will help you make it prettier, JavaScript, PHP, Ruby will help you make it more user friendly. But none of that matters if you don't have a good base or skeleton. HTML is the most essential thing you need. Like BlaineSch suggested, go to W3Schools. Once you've got a good base branch out to CSS then PHP and/or JavaScript.

#11 Showstopper

Showstopper

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:43 PM

All these comments great. But all you really need is HTML. CSS will help you make it prettier, JavaScript, PHP, Ruby will help you make it more user friendly. But none of that matters if you don't have a good base or skeleton. HTML is the most essential thing you need. Like BlaineSch suggested, go to W3Schools. Once you've got a good base branch out to CSS then PHP and/or JavaScript.

This guy is right on. Learn HTML first, you should probably know XHTML and CSS.

#12 jwxie518

jwxie518

Speaks fluent binary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

actually if you don't want to waste your time, either pay someone to finish the site for you in a fair pay (some $100 - 300) with any existing open source project. Or you could just select an open source project that fits your need.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download