Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Linux does not detect my USB device

hardware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BigLinux

BigLinux

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:46 AM

Linux does not detect my wireless USB device unless I first plug it in and then boot up into Linux... if I first boot and then I plug in the device it does not detect it... not much of a plug and play :/

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:27 AM

It depends on the distro you're talking about. Which are you talking about using?

Example: Ubuntu does plug-n-play pretty well. I suspect Slackware requires you to mount pen drives manually.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:06 AM

After you plug it in (immediately after), drop to a shell (terminal) and run tail -20 /var/logs/messages and paste the results here.

#4 BigLinux

BigLinux

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

I am using puppy Linux

@Jordan: Will do next time I boot using puppy linux

#5 jpconleyiv

jpconleyiv

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:35 PM

Hmm, Interesting. Is this machine dual booted? Is this Linux machine being ran virtually?If this is being ran virtually please post what the main OS is and its version. Is this wireless USB a dongle for range extending, or WiFi?? Please explain in detail.

Here are a couple of things:

1)If Linux is dual booted than it shares the hardware that another OS is using. Thus, the Linux distro (remember open source) may be secondary to the hardware and need that USB dongle to be inserted as if it were a piece of installed hardware.

2)If you running this Linux distro virtually than you need to set the permissions on what is allowed in that specific distro via settings depending on what virtual machine you are using.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download