Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Reversing EA Games applications [The Sims 2 Example]

ascii value

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Affix

Affix

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:10 PM

This was my first cracking tut. Made a video for it on youtube in bad quality.

Heres the text

EA Games could not have made serial fishing any more easier. In the support directory there is a file called xxx_code.exe (xxx = Name of the game).

To Succesfuly fish this application you only need to place a breakpoint on one call. This tutorial will walk you through Finding out the call, Setting your breakpoint and Getting your final Key

Once you have opened you need to search for all the referenced text strings. This can be done by using the right click menu as shown in the image below.
Posted Image

Once in the text strings reference Scroll up until you come to a value TEST under this value there is %s about 5 Times. Right click that value and select follow in Dissasembler.

You should be taken to a PUSH value with the ASCII Value %s%s%s%s%s or something similar.

Select the second call down from that as shown in the below image
Posted Image

Double click that and select the address (In my case it is 00404B20).

Now click the Buton that looks like an arrow pointing to 3 black dots. and paste in the address from the previous step.

You will be taken to the address in the disasembler. Select the address underneath the call in the function. It will most likely be an "add ESP, 8" code. See the below Image.

Posted Image

My address is highlighted in red because I already set my breakpoint. To set the breakpoint press F2.

Now Press F9 To run the application. In the text boxes type any number / leter combination you wish. For example I will do ASSH-OLEE-4G4M-35AF-FIXX

The application should pause on the breakpoint and allow you to search up in the window on the lowe right.

As you can see we are on the key we have entered in the box. Start scrolling up until you come to something similar to the image below. The highlighted in red is our Valid CD Key.

Posted Image

According to that my CD Key is AY3T-CLED-4G4M-V5AF-FIXX

Once tested in the application I get no error and the application terminates. This shows that the above IS a Valid Key.

Congradulations you have sucessfully Serial Fished Your first EA Game

VID :

http://rapidshare.com/files/163881157/SIMS_VID_TUT.avi

#2 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

Neat tutorial. Any suggestions on how EA could have prevented this from happening?

+rep

#3 Affix

Affix

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:02 AM

Simply just MD5 The Generated Key and compare the MD5 of the input

#4 amrosama

amrosama

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2765 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:16 AM

nice tutorial
yo homie i heard you like one-line codes so i put a one line code that evals a decrypted one line code that prints "i love one line codes"
eval(base64_decode("cHJpbnQgJ2kgbG92ZSBvbmUtbGluZSBjb2Rlcyc7"));
www.amrosama.com | the unholy methods of javascript

#5 Guest_arslan220_*

Guest_arslan220_*

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:58 AM

nice tutorial.

#6 sheva249

sheva249

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:47 PM

Plz tell me that in which Software, you have opened the exe file??? I wanna apologize for such silly question but I have to ask as I am a newbie. Thanks in advance.

#7 Jrb

Jrb

CC Regular

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

Thanks, man. I'm working on exploiting some offsets in a multiplayer game (Call of Duty - Black Ops). It's a bit harder than I expected. Maybe this could help.

#8 Smilex

Smilex

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Lua, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C, PHP, Python, Assembly, Bash

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:52 PM

Not that I care if it is or isn't, but I'd like to know. Is this legal? This thread I mean.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ascii value

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download