Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Ubuntu problems with Graphics Card

hardware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nicckk

nicckk

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

Hey guys, I'm new here and new to Linux. I am duel booting Vista and Ubuntu. When I boot into Ubuntu, everything is fine except for my drivers for my graphics card(Nvidia 6150LE). I go into the hardware manager to install them, and reboot. Later, when I try to boot back into Vista, I get an error message saying that "Windows was unable to start". I have to wait about 10 minutes, and then my desktop loads.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Also thanks to WingedPanther for bringing me to this forum.

#2 nicckk

nicckk

CC Addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

I also forgot to mention that when I install the latest drivers(highest number) then I boot into ubuntu, I get a signal out of range error on my moniter

#3 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 10 March 2009 - 04:09 AM

I don't see how Linux drivers on a separate partition could affect the loading of Windows. Are you sure this isn't just a Windows issue? My Windows Vista boot often screws up all on its own.

#4 zErOaCid

zErOaCid

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

you can try to updating first the driver for your video card. you can go to system>administration>restricted drivers. If it won't work try using envy-ng.

#5 jpconleyiv

jpconleyiv

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:23 PM

nicckk- Hey there! I think I know what you are dealing with and how painful it can be. For starters I would like you to run through this http://bit.ly/9bHa9q Also it would help a little if I had a little more information in regards to what exactly is happening when you boot into Windows. If you can take a screen image or anything of the sort that would be great!

The link above is to adjust the resolution in Ubuntu which can and has been known to mess with things. Now while I have my personal issues with Windows there is no doubt that you are dual booting a dangerous OS (Vista). To be honest with you I would wipe and re-install with XP or 7; Personally I would run XP. Is this a netbook? Definitely XP if a netbook!

Back to the issue: It is possible that Vista has thrown registry files around and is now confused due to the grub loader. However I have not personally seen this issue be a problem with the graphics card. Generally this is either a settings issue in Ubuntu or (when dealing Vista) a number of problems.

What are the specs of this dual booted machine?

Desktop or Laptop, please be specific with specs.

What version of Ubuntu are you running?

I am currently out of town and not around my normal resources. However once I return if this has not been figured out, I do know Ubuntu developers (Official) that could help us out with this.If for some reason you reply and do not hear from me do not hesitate to use my contact info via profile. Twitter usually gets my attention before anything else.

:pinguin: Good Luck, Hope these issues get solved and do not drive you away from Linux! :pinguin:

#6 roxin_phoenix

roxin_phoenix

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:25 AM

Try to uninstall your graphic driver. If the problem still occur, then it's not the graphics driver issue. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download