Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

is mac really based of unix?

mac

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#25 aftertaste

aftertaste

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

So i guess Macs are just a part of Unix. I wonder if Apple can still hold on to the recession with their expensive hardware though.

#26 Homebrewer

Homebrewer

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:32 PM

Yes, its a Unix based system. I wonder too if they will survive these troubled times.

#27 Tor

Tor

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

Even the iPhone and iPod touch run a Unix system. You can connect via SSH if you jailbreak them.

#28 Guest_Revenge1_*

Guest_Revenge1_*

Posted 03 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

Tor: Actually, they are running a slimmed down version of OS X (something equivalent to the Windows XP embedded version)

Aftertaste: Apple expands and takes over niches, thats how they succeed. Introduce cheaper models (like the $99 iPhone coming out,) more market share. Make a contract with the US military to provide iPhone's for soldiers, and you just made your quarterly profit ;)

#29 Chinmoy

Chinmoy

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:15 AM

I really love to see photoshop running on a mac. It looks so classic, it is almost as if they are made for each other..

God is real... unless declared an integer

my blog :: http://techarraz.com/

#30 jwxie518

jwxie518

Speaks fluent binary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:40 AM

I think after Mac 10.0(that's Mac OS X) it is re-written and is based on Unix. Isn't it?
(and as well as based on OPENSTEP)

#31 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:47 AM

I really love to see photoshop running on a mac. It looks so classic, it is almost as if they are made for each other..

I feel the opposite. I hate the windowless state of it.

I think after Mac 10.0(that's Mac OS X) it is re-written and is based on Unix. Isn't it?
(and as well as based on OPENSTEP)

Check out the first reply. :)

Here it is again:

Yes, Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD/Unix. From the official Apple Site:

Leopard is an Open Brand UNIX 03 Registered Product, conforming to the SUSv3 and POSIX 1003.1 specifications for the C API, Shell Utilities, and Threads. Since Leopard can compile and run all your existing UNIX code, you can deploy it in environments that demand full conformance — complete with hooks to maintain compatibility with existing software.

Apple - Mac OS X Leopard - Technology - UNIX

#32 jwxie518

jwxie518

Speaks fluent binary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:20 AM

Hmm Just found the correct reference to it

Unlike the earlier Macintosh operating system, Mac OS X is a Unix-based operating system[11] built on technology developed at NeXT from the second half of the 1980s until early 1997, when Apple purchased the company.[12]

So since Mac 10.00 (that's OS X) it is re-written based on Unix and the foundation of OPENSTEP the NeXT developed.

I was wondering because Apple does business with Microsoft since its foundation.

#33 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 28 June 2009 - 05:15 PM

I think Bill Gates owns some large portion of stocks in Apple and bailed them out a couple of years ago, but I don't think they do other business, do they? The MS Office Suite for Mac really sucks, IMO.

#34 jwxie518

jwxie518

Speaks fluent binary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:13 PM

Nah Jordan. They did business since both were found back in the 70s. I remembered it was Jobs asked Bill Gates to write BASIC. I wondered and I thought MS used UNIX since the beginning. I was surprised after all these years, it wasn't until some years ago they put out this OS X base on Unix and OPENSTEP.

#35 Super2cool

Super2cool

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

Yes.. It even says on their website

#36 DarkLordoftheMonkeys

DarkLordoftheMonkeys

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 08:53 AM

Yes, Mac OS X based on the BSDs. I think it runs on the Mach kernel. You can access the Unix command line by going to Hard Drive --> Applications --> Utilities --> Terminal.

I think Bill Gates owns some large portion of stocks in Apple and bailed them out a couple of years ago, but I don't think they do other business, do they? The MS Office Suite for Mac really sucks, IMO.

On the other hand, IE for Mac OS is way better than IE for Windows, ironically. The Windows version renders CSS all wrong.

Edited by TkTech, 12 December 2009 - 05:55 PM.

Life's too short to be cool. Be a nerd.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download