Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

is mac really based of unix?

mac

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#13 tekmiester

tekmiester

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:58 PM

Try running shell scripts from the Mac, it is quite trippy. You just have to get use to a GUI made for stupid people, and its actually a great way to go.

#14 Guest_MyPassionLinux_*

Guest_MyPassionLinux_*

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:52 PM

Msi?

MSI is a brand, that makes laptops (not only)
MSI Notebook Website

#15 Penguinlord

Penguinlord

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:43 PM

Try running shell scripts from the Mac, it is quite trippy. You just have to get use to a GUI made for stupid people, and its actually a great way to go.

Those who are used to windows prefer windows
Those who are used to Mac prefer Mac
Stupid People?

#16 Tor

Tor

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:20 AM

I think calling them stupid is a bit excessive. They just prefer GUI.

#17 Penguinlord

Penguinlord

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

Yes I prefer GUI,
I just never had to learn it, however I do use many keyboard shortcuts. Quicksilver helps for mac, anybody else use it?

#18 MartinB

MartinB

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

I tried MAC.. IMO it looks too simple.. after like 1 hour I installed it, I got bored lol... I was more excited while installing it on my MSI laptop, rather than using it...

Using something like Kalyway I presume? You don't get the whole Apple experience unless you are running it on a Mac IMO. The hardware and design of a Mac is sleek and just works, I love it.

Bored in one hour you say? I would get bored with a standard install of Windows also, You know they do make applications for the Mac too :o

#19 Tor

Tor

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:57 AM

Don't you think the MAC is a bit overpriced to just be an Intel though?

#20 MartinB

MartinB

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

Don't you think the MAC is a bit overpriced to just be an Intel though?

True, Apple prices are quite higher then others.

Apple products are built on quality, The Mac range come with everything built in and just work. I love the fact that you can do a restore on a Mac and not have to worry about going searching for drivers.

I remember paying $3000 for a PC in 2000, which is what I paid for my iMac a month ago :eek:

#21 sirizak

sirizak

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

Mac OS X is based upon the Mach kernel.[7] Certain parts from FreeBSD's and NetBSD's implementation of Unix were incorporated in Nextstep, the core of Mac OS X. Nextstep was the object-oriented operating system developed by Steve Jobs' company NeXT after he left Apple in 1985.[8] While Jobs was away from Apple, Apple tried to create a "next-generation" OS through the Taligent, Copland and Gershwin projects, with little success.[9] Eventually, NeXT's OS—then called OPENSTEP—was selected to be the basis for Apple's next OS, and Apple purchased NeXT outright.[10] Steve Jobs returned to Apple as interim CEO, and later became CEO again, shepherding the transformation of the programmer-friendly OPENSTEP into a system that would be adopted by Apple's primary market of home users and creative professionals. The project was first known as Rhapsody and was later renamed to Mac OS X.[11]

It is possible to run Mac OS X on a PC, as mentioned earlier you don't get the real Mac effect, mainly due to incompatible hardware. I had it running on an Intel Core 2 HP laptop and the only thing it was really missing was wireless drivers. Google "OSx86" if your interested.

BTW if you want a really pretty desktop checkout Enlightenment DR17. Probably best to use EliveCD or OpenGEU. Otherwise have fun building it from the svn repo.

#22 Tor

Tor

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:27 AM

I didn't think E17 was that pretty. At least, compared to KDE it wasn't. Not hard to beat gnome.

#23 sirizak

sirizak

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:18 AM

I really like Enlightenment, it's just a real pain to build. I installed the rpm's on Fedora 10 and had nothing but a miserable time. So i'm building from the svn as I write this.

I think the latest builds really show it off, check out some of the themes at exchange.enlightenment.org I recommend Grunge. You really have to use it to get how cool it is though.

I like KDE 4, I tried it with Ubuntu once, it was an early release and had a few problems, as was the case with the 4.0 realease. I think I might try it again on my new Fedora install as well. :)

What is with Gnome being so dull, it is getting seriously left behind by the other players.

#24 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:28 AM

Is E17 stable or is it still in beta?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download