Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

What is KDE/Gnome?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Prog

Prog

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 05:44 PM

They are not a window manager and are referred to as a "Desktop". Along with CDE and XFCE. I thought that all of these things ran on top of X Windows and were called managers. If they are not a manager then what is a Desktop exactly?

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 03 January 2009 - 07:00 AM

X11 provides the ability to run Graphical programs and grab mouse input, but doesn't really do a whole lot beyond that (that I know of). The Desktops build on that by providing things like desktops, menus, etc that provide an interface you can use. Think of X11 as a GUI library that the desktops make use of to do their thing.

#3 Prog

Prog

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:51 AM

I still don't understand. I know X11 provides the graphics but what is the difference in a "Desktop" and a "Manager" ? See the list here: Window Managers for X ?

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 05 January 2009 - 08:10 AM

I think the difference is the level of functionality. KDE/Gnome come with a lot more than just drawing windows.

#5 zErOaCid

zErOaCid

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

Those are windows managers. There are tons of windows manager that you can try to name some few: xfce, fluxbox, blackbox and enlightenment. These are lightweight window managers.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download