Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Laptop - 100% Linux Compatible?

hardware

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 HappyUser

HappyUser

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:21 AM

Is it possible to find a laptop that works 100% with Linux? Because most of the laptops that I see here all come with the Vista Compatible sticker etc... Is there a website or something that lists the models of the laptops and it says what is and what is not compatible with linux?

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:24 AM

There are several companies that sell laptops with Linux pre-installed, such as Dell. If you search for the model of laptop and Linux on Google, you can generally find out whether it will work well or not.

#3 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:15 AM

Well, I guess it even depends from the Distro, right? I mean you might format that linux laptop and install some other distro and maybe that distro does not detect something?

#4 HappyUser

HappyUser

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:05 AM

But aren't all distros all the same? (they are still linux ey?)

#5 PenguinLover

PenguinLover

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:18 AM

Yeah, but I think it depends from the kernel.

#6 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:32 AM

A lot of laptops are 100% compatible with Linux. Have you seen one that didn't work with Linux?

#7 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:17 AM

Well, if I may... my laptop is not 100% compatible. Not all distros detect my Video Card and in some distros I have sound problems.

#8 HappyUser

HappyUser

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

Well, that's my main concern... I don't want that to happen.

#9 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:26 PM

Drivers can be an issue and are not, technically, Linux (the kernal) but additional software. Different distros have different levels of driver support. Also, if you make a laptop to be shipped with Linux, you can add a non-standard driver to it yourself before shipping it out.

#10 HappyUser

HappyUser

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:25 AM

So even though a laptop might come with linux, it does not mean that it's 100% linux compatible?

#11 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:50 AM

I agree, if it worked in one distro you can probably get it to work in another distro. If not, you can always use NDISWRAPPER and use your windows drivers to get hardware items working properly.

#12 najaubais

najaubais

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

Is it possible to find a laptop that works 100% with Linux? Because most of the laptops that I see here all come with the Vista Compatible sticker etc... Is there a website or something that lists the models of the laptops and it says what is and what is not compatible with linux?

Installing a vista on a computer is a hard task. You must possses certain ram and hard disk along with graphics card etc. Linux can be installed with out these extra ordinary requirements. There are many companies like Dell and Sahara sell their Laptops pre loaded with Linux.

So even though a laptop might come with linux, it does not mean that it's 100% linux compatible?

A laptop is hundred percent compatible with Linux. Do not worry about it. There are problems with some drivers and updates that can be managed with open source updates.

One question I would ask is what is the major problem you have experienced when you operate a Linux computer. I haven't found any. If there are any specific problems we can talk about it

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download