Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

first linux install/distro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LissaValerian

LissaValerian

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

What was the first version/flavor of linux that you ever installed?

Sorry if this is a lame question, I'm just curious how long people have been on the linux path.

:-)

~Lissa Valerian

#2 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:30 AM

My first Linux distribution was Debian. I had a really old computer with a pre-installed version of Windows 98, and with a broken CD/DVD-reader and a broken Floppy-reader, so my only choice was use the first Linux Windows-Installer for Debian, as Debian was the first one out with such installer.

Later on, I've burned Ubuntu 7.10 on a disc, and installed it on my primary computer. And Ubuntu is still the distribution I'm using now, though in version 8.04.

I've been thinking about trying a new distribution in the near future. Some of the distributions on my consideration-list are Arch and Fedora, and I've also though about trying out a BSD, like OpenBSD.

#3 phpforfun

phpforfun

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:07 AM

my first was actually CentOS for some reason, wasnt even using it as a server, then I started to use it as a server and I installed ubuntu.. I like it a lot :)

#4 rumen

rumen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

My first distro ever was PC Linux OS. It's one of the most user-friendly distros out there.
I am deeply thankful to Texstar and the team behind it for the great experience I have had with their flavor.

#5 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:51 AM

I first started with Slackware. I believe the version was 3.0 or 3.1. From there I moved to Redhat then Mandrake. What about you Lissa?

#6 LissaValerian

LissaValerian

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:12 AM

I first started with Slackware. I believe the version was 3.0 or 3.1. From there I moved to Redhat then Mandrake. What about you Lissa?

I think back in the early 90's I used BSD, then I played around with slackware. Then from there I went to redhat, and I've pretty much stuck with Redhat flavors ever since.

I've installed a few other flavors of linux in one shot installs but never really stuck with them. I pretty much stuck with redhat, fedora, enterprise, etc etc ....

My webhosting server is Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 6). I've got a server here at home that I'm getting ready to rebuild and I'm trying to decide what to put on it. It's an old poweredge 300. Any suggestions?

#7 rumen

rumen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 03:05 AM

What about SUSE Enterprise or Ubuntu for servers?

#8 LissaValerian

LissaValerian

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 09:28 AM

What about SUSE Enterprise or Ubuntu for servers?

Thanks, I'll take a look at them. :)

~LV

#9 Prog

Prog

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

How is Suse Enterprise? Has it been renamed to openSuse?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download