Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Linux on PS3?

setup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oigen

Oigen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:27 AM

Can anyone help me install a Linux OS on a PS3? I remember hearing that that was possible, and I wanted to check it out. Thanks.

#2 rumen

rumen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:57 AM

Yes, it's possible. The exact distro is YellowDog. Download it off the official site, it's free if I am right.

#3 erick99

erick99

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

I've read about it being accomplished, but I've also heard a couple incidents where the installation failed and left the PS3 nothing more than a heavy paperweight that Sony won't repair.

YMMV, but if you have any success, let us know!

-erick99

#4 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:43 PM

Listen to what erick99 just said. Linux has successfully been installed on many PS3's, but it has also crashed the same amount of times on other PS3's.

You must keep in mind that it can fail, so are you going to take this risk? And also, using a well-documented and tested guide will probably be the best to follow. Keep yourself away from the testing/experimental guides, unless you're sure what you're doing.

#5 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 02 July 2008 - 04:12 AM

That risk seems to out-weight the benefit. Honestly, what will you do on a Linux PS3? That machine costs $600 here in the US.

#6 Prog

Prog

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 10:47 AM

Can you still play games on it? What can you do with Linux on a PS3 (what is the point)?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: setup

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download