Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Compatibility issues

hardware

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Oigen

Oigen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:43 AM

Hi guys!

I'm a Linux newbie who wants to make the big step, and install Linux. However, I heard that Linux has all sorts of compatibility issues going on, and I just wanted to ask: can I install it on any computer? Or do I have to have some sort of standard configuration or whatever.

#2 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:40 PM

You can install it on any computer. Linux has drivers for just about everything and works on even the oldest of machines. If you need help we are here to help.

#3 chown

chown

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:35 PM

What issues have you heard of? Everything worked fine with my installation although I have heard of some rare issues such as speakers/sound not working or wireless drivers not being detected.

#4 Oigen

Oigen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:39 AM

I heard that it's really hard to have 2 network cards in the same time. It's good to know that it works on any computer, tho. I'll be sure to ask for help if I'm stuck.

#5 rumen

rumen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:15 AM

You can install Linux on absolutely any computer or laptop now. Frankly, Linux distros have the default drivers pre-installed, so you don't need to search for them later on.

#6 Tor

Tor

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:55 AM

Yup, some times you will run into some weird errors like sound not working but other than that it generally works.

#7 Oigen

Oigen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

Is that a big thing? Is it easily fixed? The weirdo error, I mean.

#8 Lorence

Lorence

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:20 AM

I haven't tried Linux yet and I guess I will have a hard time. But I am interested to use it. Is the installer the same as windows? Is there any difference in the installation procedures?

#9 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:37 AM

Many people think they're going to have a hard time when they change to Linux from Windows - I thought so too. But the fact is that Linux is much more user-friendly than Windows is. Linux has got a reputation of being a nerdy operating system or a operating system for nerds - and it was like that once, and it still is with certain distributions. But(!) it is not like that with most of the Linux distribution. Many distributions aim at making the perfect operating system for the user to use daily - with nice graphical effects, and easy-to-use configurations and applications.
Another great thing about Linux is that it's open source. This mean that everybody can read the source of the operating systems, and eventually also the applications the operating system uses. Some operating systems do actually try only to use open source software. But what's the great thing about this? Well, one of the great things about it is that everybody can come with improvements to it. This sounds a bit badly, because does that mean that someone could put a virus, or something similar in the code? - Yes, but(!) the source with the virus or similar will never be accepted and be published on the website - at least not the official website, it's another thing with private person's websites. This open sourceness does also attract programmers to the Linux-platform, which results in a lot of development, new software, bugfixes, and the best thing: compatibility with a lot of hardware.

Linux is as easy to install as Windows is - if not easier. You burn the operating system onto a bootable disc, puts the disc into your computer, and reboot your computer. The next thing which will happen is that you'll see a menu, where you sometimes can try the operating system without even installing it or letting it touch your harddisk (also called a Live CD) or you can simply installing it right away. The steps in the installation process will often be graphical, so it's easy to get through.

I will suggest you to try out Ubuntu as your first Linux distribution. It is very easy to install, and ships with a lot of applications (offices, graphics, games, ...) so that you can use it right away. It does also have a heavy graphical environment, which most people like. If all this doesn't fit your needs, you shall check out other distributions in order to find the right one for you. Another option is to tell us, here at TotalPenguin, about your needs, and we'll try to suggest you a distribution.

Good luck, and if you have any questions: ask!

#10 Lorence

Lorence

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:11 AM

Great. That is a good response Void. Enlightening as it is. Thank you for taking time to explain everything to me, and thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate it. :o

#11 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:35 AM

I'm just glad that I can help. :)

#12 najaubais

najaubais

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 11:18 PM

Hi guys!

I'm a Linux newbie who wants to make the big step, and install Linux. However, I heard that Linux has all sorts of compatibility issues going on, and I just wanted to ask: can I install it on any computer? Or do I have to have some sort of standard configuration or whatever.

There is no compatiability isssue going on with Linux. Linux is easy to install work. These are myths spread by vested interests. Linux is easy to work with and it gives a performance none of its competitors could beat. Go ahead and have a ball with Linux.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download