Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

MMORPG under Linux?

game

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 rumen

rumen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:23 PM

What MMORPG do you play under Linux? I run World of Warcraft and Eve Online on my distro and they play fine.

#2 Tor

Tor

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

I've done WoW before. Does Eve Online have a Linux client or do you need to run it through an emulator? Isn't there a free MMORPG for Linux?

#3 rumen

rumen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:11 AM

Eve Online has its native Linux clinet, but it has Cedega intergrated to run it properly. It's a MMORPG with a space theme, it even offers a 14 days long trial period. Have a look, it's worth it:)

#4 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

I have also done WoW but nothing else. A quick search on the net for Linux MMORPG returned a lot of results. I see Eve Online in the list and it looks like an impressive game!

#5 rumen

rumen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:26 AM

I have also done WoW but nothing else. A quick search on the net for Linux MMORPG returned a lot of results. I see Eve Online in the list and it looks like an impressive game!

Yup, the game is shockingly good, and is amazingly beautiful :P Try the trial if you have the time, you will remain satisfied for sure.

#6 LissaValerian

LissaValerian

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 11:10 AM

I've played WoW under linux but thats pretty much about it.

~Lissa Valerian

#7 Tor

Tor

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 05:42 AM

Did you use an emulator?

#8 LissaValerian

LissaValerian

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:01 AM

yeah, I'm trying to remember the exact setup I had. I was playing while working at my corporate job and they didn't have the ports open, so I was tunneling it off of my linux box outside the corp network so that I could play.

It was slow as molasses but I at least was able to get online and play. The main thing that made it so slow was the ssh tunneling I think. It was a gawdawful setup. At my new job, the ports are wide open, so as soon as 5:00 hits, the WoW screen comes up. :-) <GRIN> I play for a few hours before heading home. But that's on a windows desktop.

Linux/Wine - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

~ Lissa Valerian

#9 Tor

Tor

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:45 AM

That is a great guide! You can play just using Wine. In Linux what is your FPS under Wine with WoW?

How did you tunnel WoW through an SSH port? I understand tunneling but I thought you had to setup a proxy in your app (Like in FireFox you add a local 127.0.0.1 proxy). WoW doesn't support proxies does it?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, why do you play at work vs home?

#10 LissaValerian

LissaValerian

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:55 AM

I play at work because I have more interesting things to do at home. ;-)

WoW itself does not support proxies. That was probably the most frustrating part. This was something I had set up over a year and a half ago when I was working at my corp job, and to be honest with you I barely remember how I had it set up. I wrestled with it quite a bit until I finally got it working. If I remember correctly, I used vnc to tunnel the linux desktop. It was a gawdawful mess. I had to get the help of a couple of coworkers who were also WoW junkies to get this set up. :-) I'm not 100% sure I remember how I did it. I just know that I did and that once it worked, it was fine (though very very very slow).

I honestly don't remember 100% how I did it. At my current job, the ports are 100% open and I play without porting or tunneling on my windows desktop. At home I do the same.

My partner is a surfer who doesn't really do a lot of computer stuff, so when I'm at home, we're usually going out to the beach and stuff. <GRIN> (I live in Florida) So I get my geek time in the few hours after work and then when I'm at home, I do the beach thing. No complaints there. :-)

#11 Tor

Tor

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:34 AM

Beach sounds like more fun but WoW can become addicting! (Like Crack). You work doesn't care that you play WoW though? I know most jobs would have a fit.

It sounds like you tunneled VNC to your computer at home where you then launched WoW (on a Windows Machine?) that had no ports blocked. If this is the case I can imagine it being so slow.

#12 LissaValerian

LissaValerian

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

not exactly. I had a gaming server set up through servermatrix/theplanet.

But yeah, beach is great. As far as the work goes. I work at the university and the department I work for was actually the sponsor for the university lan gaming group, so as long as I waited until after hours, there was never a problem. Besides, I work for the IT department so ... it's like ... well, yeah ... they kinda expect us to be doing this stuff after hours. We'd lose our IT cred if we weren't. :-)

<GRIN>

:-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download