Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

TV Tuners

hardware

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Off

Off

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:19 AM

Before I go out and buy a TV Tuner can anyone recommend one that they know works in Linux? I'm going to buy a HD one and hook my cable into it. :D

#2 Ricardo

Ricardo

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:13 PM

Sorry I don't know which brands may be Linux-friendly, but that sounds like an interesting project.

I assume that you'll be doing some hard drive recording right onto your computer?

#3 Kaabi

Kaabi

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 02:53 AM

I'm sure there are ones out there that work for Linux. Look around online for reviews and such, that should simplify the process.

#4 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:09 AM

Yeah I agree. Maybe by having a look here http://www.mythtv.org/index.php might help you a little.

#5 Rabscuttle

Rabscuttle

CC Newcomer

• No Access
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:43 PM

If you are just looking for a straight tuner, then you can look into a TV box that sits between your PC and the monitor - they are OS independent.. Here's an analog one, though I am sure that they make ATSC or QAM ones as well - but it gives you an idea of how thye work
http://www.geeks.com...-BOX-HD&cat=VCD

#6 Oigen

Oigen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:47 AM

That sounds pretty cool. Let us know how it works out for you in the end. I think Linux might have some problem with the HD part though.

#7 Lorence

Lorence

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:22 AM

Really. Does Linux requires a certain brand of Tv tuners? I am using windows and have a tv tuner, and so far I have no problem. I'm wondering if I will have a problem if I switch to Linux. :(

#8 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2313 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:39 AM

You'll most likely not have any problems, unless it's either a very old or very unknown TV-tuner. Linux has support for many types of hardware, so the chances that your TV-tuner is supported is big. You could eventually, search on the internet to find out if it's supported.

#9 Lorence

Lorence

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:14 AM

Thanks void, I appreciate your advice. Well I my tuner is not that very fancy high tech but I don't think it's outdated. So I most probably won't have any problem. Thanks again.

#10 najaubais

najaubais

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:19 AM

Before I go out and buy a TV Tuner can anyone recommend one that they know works in Linux? I'm going to buy a HD one and hook my cable into it. :D

Instead of finding a tv tuner here inside the forum you can ask your retailor to give one with guarantee and compatible with Linux. So in case it does not work you can always go back and get a refund.

#11 nadha

nadha

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:01 AM

I dont know why this question is asked here. Everybody knows we can just install the TV tuner without any problem.. Linux doenst have any problem with TV tuner.

#12 senecaz

senecaz

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

i have even trouble finding drivers in woindows, let alone linux. but i wouldn't bet that a card out there could be linux friendly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download