Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Laptop Friendly distros?

hardware

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#13 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:49 AM

No it's a different one, read more about it here:
http://linuxmint.com/

#14 Off

Off

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:03 AM

It looks similar to all of the other Linux distros that are popping up. Whats different about this one that would make me want to download and install it? Just curious....

#15 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

Well maybe.. the look and the default installed applications, you might find better, but besides that neither I know what is the difference between all these these distros...

#16 LinuxBomber

LinuxBomber

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:50 AM

Well I'm not much of a linux geek, but I too can't find much difference, even the snapshots besides the wallpaper and the fact that some has a dock and other don't, I can't find much difference.

#17 EGS

EGS

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 05:41 PM

I have tried Ubuntu OS on a laptop. It worked good.
Then again though I booted it off of the disc, but am sure it'll work fine installed. :)

#18 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 12:45 AM

Yesterday I tried gOS, basically a ripoff from Ubuntu (the installer even has the same icon of ubuntu!!!) but anyways livecd worked on my laptop (via vmware, so I guess it will normally)

Right now I'm burning a DvD with Sabayon and try it on my laptop. I will let you guys know if it works out of the box.

#19 EGS

EGS

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:31 PM

Yesterday I tried gOS, basically a ripoff from Ubuntu (the installer even has the same icon of ubuntu!!!) but anyways livecd worked on my laptop (via vmware, so I guess it will normally)

Right now I'm burning a DvD with Sabayon and try it on my laptop. I will let you guys know if it works out of the box.

I am waiting for your results. I've been following your posts and you're making me really interested in trying out Sabayon Linux OS distro.

Hopefully all goes well with the installation on your laptop. :D The OS isn't that well-known though, is it?

#20 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:52 AM

I've also downloaded Sabayon and will be installing it today but not on a Laptop. I'll let you know what I find.

#21 EGS

EGS

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:46 AM

From what I've recently researched online, ForeSight, Ubuntu, and Fedora seem to be laptop-friendly laptop distros. :)

If you're new to Linux, I'd recommend Ubuntu, mainly because of their large support community and easy interface.

#22 Rabscuttle

Rabscuttle

CC Newcomer

• No Access
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

Um, you did fail to mention (unless I missed it) what Dell Lppy you are trying this on? That said, just try a Live CD (as someone mentioned) first to see how well it works. I'd advise trying Ubuntu first, it is really Lappy friendly - even if your running an old D600 or something like that (I ran it off it's ISO image ina vitual machine on my one year old HP and it wroked fine with all it's HW)

#23 Tor

Tor

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:17 AM

I did, the last line:

DELL D620

#24 Rabscuttle

Rabscuttle

CC Newcomer

• No Access
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

DOH!!! My bad!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download