Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      18 Aug
    KodeKool

When faced with a wall of errors and no hope to fix them, remember the following "Programs always do what you tell them to, and seldom what you want them to, but eventually you'll run out of things that can go wrong and it'll just work. and that's the secret to good programming."

Show comments (2)
  • Photo
      11 Aug
    Error

Should I be practicing programming every day? I feel if I don't, I'll get instantly rusty or something.

Show comments (4)
View All Updates

Developed by Kemal Taskin
- - - - -

3D Cube Effect?

hardware

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Wanch_*

Guest_Wanch_*

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:59 AM

My friend had a 3D desktop switching cube effect on his Linux Machine using KDE. How can I do that and what is it? Do I need a special video card?

#2 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,563 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 04:57 AM

Well as far as I know, no you do not need any special video card, just a normal one but powerful enough :)

#3 Guest_Wanch_*

Guest_Wanch_*

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:43 PM

With a lot of RAM?

#4 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:37 PM

You should consider installing Compiz Fusion. It has a lot of nice features. The system requirements aren't high too, so most computers would be able to run it smoothly. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a link on the system requirements, but I've heard about people having only 64mb RAM being able to run it nicely.

#5 Guest_Wanch_*

Guest_Wanch_*

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

I will look into installing this. I really want that effect.

#6 Off

Off

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:32 PM

Is this similar to the OS X desktop switch cube effect?

#7 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:42 AM

I'm not sure. I haven't tried OS X for a long time, and I've never used the effects. I would suggest you to find a video about Compiz Fusion on YouTube, watch it, and then compare it to OS X.

#8 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7,563 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:27 AM

I tried that on ubuntu, and i enabled the 3d cube function, but it did not work for me... i don't know how to use it.

#9 rumen

rumen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:22 AM

I am running Compiz Fusion on my Ubuntu box. Really great, actually ATI have improved their drivers a lot, I can run it now on my ATI with almost no problems at all.

#10 Oigen

Oigen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:45 AM

It has Ubuntu installed, and no, you don't need a new videocard (unless yours is ancient, like 4 megs of memory or something)

#11 LissaValerian

LissaValerian

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

the 3D cube effect / functionality is sooo ... coool. Maybe a bit too ... bells and whistle-ish, but still, very freaking cool. I remember the first time I saw one of my coworkers set that up, I was like "holy **" that was awesome!

#12 najaubais

najaubais

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

My friend had a 3D desktop switching cube effect on his Linux Machine using KDE. How can I do that and what is it? Do I need a special video card?

I tried to install the effects and it was not possible becasue my graphics does not support it. I am looking for an update for my graphics and Ram to have the effect. I was hooked to the effect I must say

Can anybody inform me how much of an upgrade I need. How much Ram and Graphics I need to get an effect like that?. Please inform me

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware