Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      30 Sep
    rhossis

laptop hard disk seated beneath motherboard but with no access panel. 7 hours to replace :(

Show comments (3)
  • Photo
      19 Sep
    Chall

I love it when you go to write a help thread, then while writing, you reach an enlightenment, and figure it out yourself.

Show comments (3)
View All Updates

Developed by Kemal Taskin
- - - - -

3D Cube Effect?

hardware

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Wanch_*

Guest_Wanch_*

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:59 AM

My friend had a 3D desktop switching cube effect on his Linux Machine using KDE. How can I do that and what is it? Do I need a special video card?

#2 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,563 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 04:57 AM

Well as far as I know, no you do not need any special video card, just a normal one but powerful enough :)

#3 Guest_Wanch_*

Guest_Wanch_*

Posted 21 February 2008 - 04:43 PM

With a lot of RAM?

#4 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:37 PM

You should consider installing Compiz Fusion. It has a lot of nice features. The system requirements aren't high too, so most computers would be able to run it smoothly. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a link on the system requirements, but I've heard about people having only 64mb RAM being able to run it nicely.

#5 Guest_Wanch_*

Guest_Wanch_*

Posted 22 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

I will look into installing this. I really want that effect.

#6 Off

Off

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:32 PM

Is this similar to the OS X desktop switch cube effect?

#7 v0id

v0id

Retired

• Retired Mod
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:42 AM

I'm not sure. I haven't tried OS X for a long time, and I've never used the effects. I would suggest you to find a video about Compiz Fusion on YouTube, watch it, and then compare it to OS X.

#8 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7,563 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:27 AM

I tried that on ubuntu, and i enabled the 3d cube function, but it did not work for me... i don't know how to use it.

#9 rumen

rumen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:22 AM

I am running Compiz Fusion on my Ubuntu box. Really great, actually ATI have improved their drivers a lot, I can run it now on my ATI with almost no problems at all.

#10 Oigen

Oigen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:45 AM

It has Ubuntu installed, and no, you don't need a new videocard (unless yours is ancient, like 4 megs of memory or something)

#11 LissaValerian

LissaValerian

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

the 3D cube effect / functionality is sooo ... coool. Maybe a bit too ... bells and whistle-ish, but still, very freaking cool. I remember the first time I saw one of my coworkers set that up, I was like "holy **" that was awesome!

#12 najaubais

najaubais

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:24 AM

My friend had a 3D desktop switching cube effect on his Linux Machine using KDE. How can I do that and what is it? Do I need a special video card?

I tried to install the effects and it was not possible becasue my graphics does not support it. I am looking for an update for my graphics and Ram to have the effect. I was hooked to the effect I must say

Can anybody inform me how much of an upgrade I need. How much Ram and Graphics I need to get an effect like that?. Please inform me

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware