Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

SATA Raid and Linux

hardware

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hektor

Hektor

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:27 PM

I'm looking for a cheap solutions for a SATA raid and have about 1 terabytes of space.

I see this, RocketRAID 1640 - is it any good? http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816115015

Not bad for only $86! I'll get a couple of 400 gig SATA Hard Drives as well.

#2 Guest_Penguin_*

Guest_Penguin_*

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:04 PM

RocketRAID is very good hardware! This version, however, isn't actually a hardware raid. It is a software raid and thus, isn't as fast as a hardware raid. It is much cheaper and a great option though.

#3 Guest_Jame_*

Guest_Jame_*

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:49 PM

That one is software raid like Penguin Said. Upgrade to this one: http://www.highpoint...USA/rr1810a.htm

Same company and very nice hardware raid!

#4 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:10 AM

Well those for sure are nice hardware, but from my experience I will never (until it is a critical need) use any RAID devices.

#5 Guest_KernelKorn_*

Guest_KernelKorn_*

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:40 PM

I am curious TalkPenguin as to why you are so adamantly against raid? It would seem to me to be a useful way of building in redundancy for important systems. Is there a way that you would prefer?

#6 Guest_Lop_*

Guest_Lop_*

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:02 AM

RAIDs are excellent for data protection. I curious to know why you are against them as well.

#7 Guest_powerspike_*

Guest_powerspike_*

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

if your going to get a cheap card, it's going to be more then likey pesduo raid (the raid support is done in the drive in the system and not on the card). and if you are going to go that route, i would recomend using linux software raid, and not a card, mainly because if the card dies, and you can't get a replacement, your pretty much screwed. if you use linux software raid, it's alot easier to managed, and alot more portalable

if you want pure speed, go raid 0 (striped), if you want some speed and don't much losing a bit of disk space go 1 or (0+1), personaly i always use raid 5 or 6, basicly raid 5 is the size of all the disks -1, and raid 6 is the rame, but -2, and you get most of the speed from all the disks (raid 5 is basicly striped and paridy so you get speed and backup).
raid 0 - lose a disk, ALL data gone (pure speed)
raid 1 - lose a disk, still have data (speed and backup)
raid 5 - lose a disk, still have data (lotsa speed and backup)
raid 6 - lose _2_ disks, and still have data. (a little slower then raid 5 but high level of reduancey)

hopefully that information will help a few people.

#8 Oigen

Oigen

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 12:09 PM

What have you got against RAID devices? I was led to believe that there weregreat, especially for data protection reasons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download