Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

- - - - -

Fiber Optic Raid

hardware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_ptt3_*

Guest_ptt3_*

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:53 AM

I have a Fiber Optic raid which runs on a SAN. For some reason I can't get Linux to detect the Hard Drive I have setup. I'm trying to install Redhat ES4 and the connection is being made from a QLogic QLE-2460. The QLogic detects the hard drive on Lun 0. Any ideas?

#2 Guest_Jame_*

Guest_Jame_*

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

Redhat does not support this:

Issue:
Should I boot from SAN?
Resolution:

No. Booting the system should always be done from a local drive; this is the only method covered in Red Hat Support Service Level Agreements.

When a user tries to boot to a non-local drive, the boot order becomes potentially problematic. The availability of network services and runlevel script execution must occur in an exact sequence. If the system needs a resource that is on a drive or partition that hasn't been brought up yet, then the boot will fail. It is very problematic when new LUNs are exported to the host, so a good rule of thumb is to use the local disk for boot and then the data and applications can be placed on the SAN.

http://kbase.redhat....AQ_42_8136.shtm

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hardware

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download