Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

What IDE do you use?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flycoder

flycoder

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:38 AM

hey there,

I just wanted to do an informal survey for my blog on what some of the popular IDE's you guys use. If you have any info, it would be great if you said why you chose it above others (say, why Eclipse is better than visual studio or vice versa) also mention what language you use in that IDE.

I have used several IDE's but I haven't fully used their resources. I have used DevC++, Eclipse for C++ and for Java, and of course Visual Studio. I like Eclipse and VS the best, but I can't really say which is better because I haven't thought to compare them. It is annoying that VS doesn't make your brackets for you tho...

#2 Turk4n

Turk4n

???

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, Bash
  • Learning:C++, C#, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:24 AM

Used Eclipse and never looking back again with my java coding, and the rest programming languages goes with a TextEditor !

#3 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

Windows: Zend for PHP, Notepad2 and Visual Studio
Linux: vim, Zend for PHP and Monodevelop
Mac: Nothing because I can't afford their hardware

Of those IDEs I use the text editors most (Notepad2 and vim) and not sure they would be considered an "IDE" per-say, but I do a lot of CLI programming in them. I've used them for multiple languages from C++ to Python. Next up is Zend because it is based on Eclipse and cross-platform. I can use it on Windows or Linux and enjoy the exact same features. I used Visual Studio on Windows for .NET development and Monodevelop on Linux for .NET development.

For EDI I use a propritary IDE based on Eclipse as well.

#4 flycoder

flycoder

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

Windows: Zend for PHP, Notepad2 and Visual Studio
Linux: vim, Zend for PHP and Monodevelop
Mac: Nothing because I can't afford their hardware

Of those IDEs I use the text editors most (Notepad2 and vim)

I've fooled around with vim, but the learning curve was high, and there are so many text editors that have controls I am used to. I like Context

#5 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:16 AM

vim learning curve is high but you become use to it and can actually edit faster using vim once learned. My old boss use to say "With vi you can fly!". Some people say "With vi I die".

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:36 AM

I use jEdit for most of my code (HTML, ColdFusion, ASP, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, Delphi, C++, C). For Delphi code I also use the Delphi IDE (Mainly to compile and do form design). You can substitute Lazarus for Delphi in any of the above.

I agree with Jordan, vim is worth the learning curve. Unfortunately, I let my vi skills atrophy. For massive files (such as error logs where my conversion failed miserably) vim or emacs are sometimes the only editors that will open it.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#7 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:01 AM

@Jordan: I can't see Notepad2 being classified as an IDE. It surely isn't an Environment that Integrates Development - just a tabbed version of notepad.

Why not give Notepad++ a try? It's far better than Notepad2.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#8 MathX

MathX

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:16 AM

@Jordan: I can't see Notepad2 being classified as an IDE. It surely isn't an Environment that Integrates Development - just a tabbed version of notepad.

Yeah Notepad++ is great.

I use Dev-C++ to write my C++ code. I like it very much.

Interested in participating in community events?
Want to harness your programming skill and turn it into absolute prowess?
Come join our programming events!

#9 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:32 AM

You should read my full post:

Of those IDEs I use the text editors most (Notepad2 and vim) and not sure they would be considered an "IDE" per-say, but I do a lot of CLI programming in them.

They may not be "integrated" but they certainly constitute a "Development Environment". I tried Notepad++, I didn't like it as much.