Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

VB for Beginners - Part 1 - Introduction

for beginner

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#13 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:01 PM

Indeed you didn't - but considering that this tutorial is aimed squarely at beginners, they are going to take heed of your advice and start calling all their forms "MainForm", "AboutForm", "OrderForm" etc, instead of the preferred "frmMain", "frmAbout", "frmOrder".
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#14 Vswe

Vswe

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, Python, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Visual Basic .NET, Lua, ActionScript

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

Have you noticed we're arguing about an "o"? What's the problem with naming them MainForm anyway? And after a while using MainForm you maybe change to MainFr or something else just because you like it better. The point I was trying to make was that you shouldn't name them form1, textbox1, unknownitem1321, Info, About or anything like that.

#15 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

I don't mean to argue. I am just communicating my point. ;)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#16 Vswe

Vswe

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, Python, JavaScript, PL/SQL, Visual Basic .NET, Lua, ActionScript

Posted 11 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

So do I.

#17 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:05 AM

Yes and I can see what you have written. I am merely explaining the standard naming conventions that are used by the majority of people, which help vastly whilst programming.

#18 Vswe

Vswe

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

You won this debate. I recognize me beaten. :) Thanks for your point.

#19 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

Lol - I try not to be insulting or too forceful, but I love my debates I do. ;) It's a shame you weren't around for the Xav/Meth0dz flame wars.. as any old member will tell you, they were hilarious.

#20 Vswe

Vswe

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:47 AM

Yes it's fun with debates but you need to know when you lost.

#21 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:50 AM

Very true. I still haven't acquired that skill yet. ;)

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download