Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

How to record your screen and saving it as .AVI

timer

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#13 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 05 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Well, the thing is we/you :P are talking a lot of different matters at the time.

Which free screen capture softw did you use? I used to use a good one, a friend told me was the best (the one to capture games) but I don't remember which it was... I could ask... but if you tell me it would be better.

About this coding... well, I haven't done any screen capture my self in .NET (but I did in c++, via directx it worked fine) but I could check...

Apart of that, the reproduction thing... it's not that much about how you encode it, but which driver/codec/player/plugin/whatever the end-user uses to watch the video. Usually youtube has many versions of the same file, in HD, flv, 3gp, etc (you'll see that if you use a downloader in your browser :P)

If your avi is like too big, it probably is compressing to basic/old mpg raw format, to make a shorter, compress as avi and check the video parameters, as width, height, frame-rate, color palette, etc.

#14 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • 3871 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:29 PM

Well, if you were looking for a legendary answer, here I am. :P

I've just remember, what you NEED to use is the windows media encoder, download it and you could do both: use the program to capture, and use the API to capture. So, forget anything else, this one works

#15 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • 3871 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

Bad news, I went to my Windows media encoder sources and found out it works up to XP, W7 don't support it anymore.

Godd news, I've just found that software I talked you about, it's the CamStudio, it's open source, it works (used in digital magazines for java-games video recording) and it's free.

#16 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • 3871 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

And, in case you want a free trial of a more user friendly software there's Camtasia. Also used for games screen video recording.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: timer