Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Public appeal: post your complete sources

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#13 Root23

Root23

CC Addict

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

I agree with what you guys have said thus far, and I won't repeat what has already been said.

I would like to add what I see as another benefit of doing this, other than people just being able to fix your problem for you. It also opens up the ability for them to also make recommendations on better ways to do things/or recommend a sort of 'best practices' on how things should be done which would also be a big benefit to us new guys.

I know a lot of times people are just needing help on homework problems, and in those situations the instructor might want things done simply[or a certain way], but still knowing there are more appropriate ways of doing things is always a positive in my book.
Posted Image

#14 ArekBulski

ArekBulski

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

After reading my own words years after, I think that there could be a reason why people do not post everything. You know, closed source projects. You publish it, your work is gone... Or maybe not. Maybe this is how people see it?

#15 wim DC

wim DC

Roar

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2681 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, JavaScript, PL/SQL
  • Learning:Python

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:45 AM

It would depend on the error. Compile errors probably don't need runnable code.
Unexpected behaviour in code however...

The worst of them are: "I have an error <Code block here>" And that's it.
Then you ask for the stacktrace and they give you the first line only :thumbdown:

Edited by wim DC, 06 December 2011 - 02:40 AM.

#16 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

There are a lot of teachers that are getting onto students for getting help online. Posting code can make it easy to see you got outside help :)

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#17 rocketboy9000

rocketboy9000

CC Resident

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

After reading my own words years after, I think that there could be a reason why people do not post everything. You know, closed source projects. You publish it, your work is gone... Or maybe not. Maybe this is how people see it?

Copyright on code is not in any way forfeited by posting it... Just write a little licensing agreement into a comment.

#18 ArekBulski

ArekBulski

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:36 AM

There are a lot of teachers that are getting onto students for getting help online. Posting code can make it easy to see you got outside help :)

I never had such problems, I do not even understand why would anyone do such a thing. ;) Could you explain to me a bit more, WingedPanther?

#19 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:58 AM

I never had such problems, I do not even understand why would anyone do such a thing. ;) Could you explain to me a bit more, WingedPanther?

Take the stuff I post as an example. If I use some of my tutorial stuff in my personal portfolio, and someone checks on it, they're going to know that either 1) I use WingedPanther as my online alias, or 2) I plagiarized the heck of some smart guy who goes by WingedPanther.

Now, programming teachers have a pretty standard set of problems they like to assign. The change problem, for example, is really common. It's easy to swipe code off a website and claim that's you. It's hard to prove it :)

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#20 BlackRabbit

BlackRabbit

CodeCall Legend

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3871 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Transact-SQL, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Java, Others

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

totally agreed