Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Public appeal: post your complete sources

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ArekBulski

ArekBulski

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 10:43 AM

My public appeal to CodeCall members: Please post your complete source codes.

After being a CodeCall member for days and weeks now, I realized that something is wrong. Our members are asking for help with fixing their code but they don't get exactly adequate code analysis.

The reason seems obvious to me: there is *no runnable code* to make any code analysis. For example, someone is asking why his code is not working. He also posts a block of code along. What follows?

1. Proofreading the posted code: not many people will bother to do that. Reason is so simple, it is a hard work. Especially if code is spaghetti-like.

2. Running and debugging your code: this is the *best method* to do code analysis. But it is also not possible, because... no one posts their *full runnable* code.

3. Copying and pasting your code to a new solution: anyone thinking that this really takes place is just a lame. It won't happen, thus no one will see how your code is working. "Looking at code" is not enough, it needs to be "seen in action" if you catch my drift.

Let me summarize. If you are interested in us solving your problems, then post full, compilable and runnable source codes. Also it's good to mention what IDE you are using for it.

Now, blame on me. Tell me it does not happen and everyone are happy with their responses...

#2 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

I like the idea and full post code helps. I suggest you post the problematic code block in code tags and then attach the full project. I agree, it helps to be able to run the entire project.

Thread Stuck

#3 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 07 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Agreed. With certain languages, this will involve posting multiple files. For example, Delphi has a .dfm file(the form layout) for forms that is just as necessary as the .pas file. Project files for IDE's/compilers can also be crucial.

I think one of the things that confuses new programmers is the variety of files that may actually be necessary for a project to be compiled. If you don't know what you need to include, ask. We generally know.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#4 barkermn01

barkermn01

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

I hear that

9 out of 10 times every thing in your source directory - E.G where you save you main solution Delphi and any Visual project if your project is big go into each project in the directory check for a build folder and delete that,

All'so don't forget to state any plugin's your using like ADO.NET, MySQL Plugin for .Net, just so we know what you using if we have it and we might need to learn it a little to help you.

#5 photographers

photographers

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:01 AM

I accept with information :"The reason seems obvious to me: there is *no runnable code* to make any code analysis. For example, someone is asking why his code is not working. He also posts a block of code along. What follows?
"

#6 ArekBulski

ArekBulski

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 02:27 PM

I admit, I was pretty dissapointed in how some people post their code (minor portions of it). I could have said that with less emotions. But oh well... You see how it is.

#7 gokuajmes

gokuajmes

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 02:07 AM

I like the idea and full post code helps. I suggest you post the problematic code block in code tags and then attach the full project. I agree, it helps to be able to run the entire project.

Thats superb thats what i like peope to do

#8 progcomputeach

progcomputeach

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:31 AM

I agree. If you only include some of the code you do not get the whole picture.It could have been something earlier in a previous section of code which we havent seen. The problem may arise if you write a windows forms application where some of the cod eis not included though...
Good thread ArekBulski

#9 tjcool

tjcool

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Programming Language:C#
  • Learning:C#

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:32 AM

Agree........

#10 progcomputeach

progcomputeach

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:37 AM

Yes and it also helps if you describe what you have done so far and explain clearly what it is try to do-bullet points or numbered points are useful.

Edited by Roger, 04 September 2010 - 09:00 AM.

#11 ArekBulski

ArekBulski

CC Devotee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:43 AM

I agree. If you only include some of the code you do not get the whole picture.It could have been something earlier in a previous section of code which we havent seen. The problem may arise if you write a windows forms application where some of the cod eis not included though...
Good thread ArekBulski

Our programming teacher uses a phrase "historical events", translation from polish is mine, to refer to side effects that happened before the place in code that we recognize as a proper place to modify some certain data. :)

Just another funny term to say "cannot see the whole picture from here"...

#12 mpldwk

mpldwk

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:23 PM

keep Share :thumbup1::thumbup1: