Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Laptop

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I am interested to know who manufactured your laptop and if you are satisfied with the durability and quality of parts used.

#2 fread

fread

Programming God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Python, PL/SQL

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

I bought a dell inspiron a couple years ago. The battery died within 8 months. Most of my friends seem to complain about the same thing with dell inspirons.

#3 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 1520. My battery is also the same way, but I usually leave it pluged in so that's not a huge issue. However, I unfortunately spilled water on my mouse and caused the motherboard to short out rendering my mouse inoperable.

#4 fread

fread

Programming God

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, Python, PL/SQL

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:52 PM

At present i my battery is completely dead. I have to use the charger all the time. Otherwise its a fairly good system. My chassis is still in good form.

#5 xXHalfSliceXx

xXHalfSliceXx

CC Leader

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1561 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

Very happy

Gateway 17" Widescreen

ill have to get the model in a bit

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Termana

Termana

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:59 AM

I have a Toshiba Satellite L300, however its not a standard model (it came with Windows Vista Home Premium, where as most of the other Toshiba Satellite L300's I've seen have Windows Vista Home Basic and I think there is a couple of other differences). I've heard some bad stuff about Toshiba, however I've had this for over 6 months now and its fine. I'm assuming you would be looking for stuff to work under Ubuntu? I'm not sure about the wireless card, however I do know that the dial-up does not work in Ubuntu (I haven't tried hard to get it to work), however I doubt thats going to be a problem for you since most people are on broadband these days anyway.

Interested in participating in community events?
Want to harness your programming skill and turn it into absolute prowess?
Come join our programming events!

#7 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:54 AM

I have a Dell Precision M4300 which is suppose to be a laptop for engineers and has better quality specs and is for commercial use (vs. consumer use that the other dell models are). It is a very fast laptop (according to benchmarks, it beats my GX620 desktop) and very durable. It has a slick design that looks great when opened or closed (none of that goofy colored **). It is a 64bit laptop that I use Vista Ultimate and OpenSuse 11 on. The battery is fine and lasts about 3 hours but with most of the dell laptops I've used they generally start to degrade in 1 year. However, I've never used a "consumer" model.

I'd recommend this to a friend but it is pricey.

#8 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

Asus EEE PC 4G: very nice, but kind of small for development work.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#9 xXHalfSliceXx

xXHalfSliceXx

CC Leader

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1561 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

Gateway MX8734 Notebook

Specs

Here are the specs. Have been very happy with it for... year and a half i think. SOmething like that.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

I have a Dell Precision M4300 which is suppose to be a laptop for engineers and has better quality specs and is for commercial use (vs. consumer use that the other dell models are). It is a very fast laptop (according to benchmarks, it beats my GX620 desktop) and very durable. It has a slick design that looks great when opened or closed (none of that goofy colored **). It is a 64bit laptop that I use Vista Ultimate and OpenSuse 11 on. The battery is fine and lasts about 3 hours but with most of the dell laptops I've used they generally start to degrade in 1 year. However, I've never used a "consumer" model.

I'd recommend this to a friend but it is pricey.

I've never looked into their commercial models, perhaps I should.

Asus EEE PC 4G: very nice, but kind of small for development work.

I've used an Asus EEE and I found it way to small for a "main" laptop, and although I am looking for something small - I think 13.3" is what I am looking for.

#11 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:24 PM

What are your intentions for this laptop?

#12 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

Mostly programming/web development, but I can't stand the idea of getting a crappy laptop.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download