Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

I need help... What language should i choose!

ruby

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 itsforyou

itsforyou

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:24 AM

Hi all!!

I'm a newb in coding, i've done some very simple autoit bots and that's it :P
I want to learn a "real" language, i want to learn how to make programs, php and such is not interesting for me.. (atleast not atm)

The language should not be to hard to learn!
What do you guys think about ruby? As i understand you can make both web and non-web apps with it?
And i've seen debates regarding python vs ruby, rly confusing lol..

Thanks in advance!

#2 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2092 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java
  • Learning:Java, C++, JavaScript

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:03 AM

Well it really depends on where you want to go with programming. From what I have read, you are looking more into software development not web development. But with reading what you said about Ruby it looks like you are wishing to do a bit of both. Python and Ruby can be used both online and offline, but from what I have heard Python is the choice. Also with Python, it has very simple syntax which means you could easily learn it.

What languages did you make your simple autoit bots out of?
I've returned...

#3 Turk4n

Turk4n

???

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, Bash
  • Learning:C++, C#, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:40 AM

There is nothing called "real" language in my opinion, ever programming language has pros and cons, I would consider the thought, what do I want to do?
Code sites,small applications,databases,games,modeling(programming one).
Tell us what you really want to do with programming, that would be easier to give new commoners a better view of the wide selection of programming that exists...

#4 itsforyou

itsforyou

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:17 AM

Well it really depends on where you want to go with programming. From what I have read, you are looking more into software development not web development. But with reading what you said about Ruby it looks like you are wishing to do a bit of both. Python and Ruby can be used both online and offline, but from what I have heard Python is the choice. Also with Python, it has very simple syntax which means you could easily learn it.

What languages did you make your simple autoit bots out of?

Hmm, python :}..
Yeah it's not bad if i can do both, i know some photoshop and dw aswell..
The code on autoit was just simple mouse movments and typing used on a swedish communitie.
Sleep, mouse move, mouse click, type.. repeat ^^

There is nothing called "real" language in my opinion, ever programming language has pros and cons, I would consider the thought, what do I want to do?
Code sites,small applications,databases,games,modeling(programming one).
Tell us what you really want to do with programming, that would be easier to give new commoners a better view of the wide selection of programming that exists...

Small applications, on the other side, nice webpages is a dream :P
Making a unique communitie etc..
Maybe creating domain snapping tools, i think the real good once is keept secret ;(
I'm a inventer, not much of an math guy, which might be a problem..
But i will give it a try anyway..
A language that will make me understand the basics of coding, making it easier to move on to other once..

I'm also very intrested in internet security and will move to ubuntu asap, anyone know if i can use fruityloops and cubase there :S?

#5 anticafe

anticafe

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:11 AM

I think whatever IT field you work in, C or Java is always Indispensable.

#6 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:16 AM

In a lot of ways, a nice (simple) web page is easier to accomplish than a small application. It depends a lot on the language, of course.

C++, Java, and Delphi/Lazarus are all pretty nice for application development. C++ will require some additional libraries or the Windows API for graphical stuff.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#7 itsforyou

itsforyou

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

In a lot of ways, a nice (simple) web page is easier to accomplish than a small application. It depends a lot on the language, of course.

C++, Java, and Delphi/Lazarus are all pretty nice for application development. C++ will require some additional libraries or the Windows API for graphical stuff.

C++ and java is to hard right now, i want to see some action after a few months.
Maybe then i can go with C++.
At the same time i don't want to use point and click methods to much.

I always had a problem with learning stuff, you know the block that says: fuckit, i give up, this is boring..
But recently i enjoy learning and wanna go easy atm..

Thanks for the reaply in the other topic old man :D

#8 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:03 PM

Java's not too hard once you get into it. Just make sure you have a good book. It also has plenty of support for command-based GUIs.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#9 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2092 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java
  • Learning:Java, C++, JavaScript

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

By reading what you have said, Java would be a great start. It's pretty simple to learn, might be hard for a newb but it will become really easy. You can also do many things in Java, also once you have learnt it you can move onto many other languages. This includes C++.
I've returned...

#10 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

Moved to a more appropriate section.

#11 PythonPower

PythonPower

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

Java is slow on development right now and very verbose and large making it tedious to learn but not hard. It has few benefits over languages like C and C++ really (most are syntactical).

Python adds loads of goodies, however. Lambda calculus, list comprehension, map(), reduce(), etc... It has pretty much everything Java has and far more. Object-orientation (which isn't that big a deal in my opinion), imperative and functional programming and the language is both dynamic but strongly typed.

Ruby from what I see, doesn't add much (if anything on Python) and will lack the tutorials and libraries that Python has. At this point I would really recommend Python - I've used it in entirety in building the server-side code for my website which would have been near impossibly cumbersome to write in java I'm sure.

#12 itsforyou

itsforyou

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:54 AM

Java is slow on development right now and very verbose and large making it tedious to learn but not hard. It has few benefits over languages like C and C++ really (most are syntactical).

Python adds loads of goodies, however. Lambda calculus, list comprehension, map(), reduce(), etc... It has pretty much everything Java has and far more. Object-orientation (which isn't that big a deal in my opinion), imperative and functional programming and the language is both dynamic but strongly typed.

Ruby from what I see, doesn't add much (if anything on Python) and will lack the tutorials and libraries that Python has. At this point I would really recommend Python - I've used it in entirety in building the server-side code for my website which would have been near impossibly cumbersome to write in java I'm sure.

Hi!
I checked out code on java vs python, python seems much more clean..
Might get spoiled and later get annoyed :P
But i think i choose python...

Java:
public Vector<Integer> aList = new Vector<Integer>;
public int aNumber = 5;
public int anotherNumber;

aList.addElement(aNumber);
anotherNumber = aList.getElement(0);

Python:
aList = []
aNumber = 5

aList.append(aNumber)
anotherNumber = aList[0]

Thanks all!
I will begin learning python after i'm done with rootkits for dummies and some ubuntu book :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ruby

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download