Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

A basic question that i need to know

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#13 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

Most designers use Dreamweaver, but most developers choose to use text editors or IDE's.

I disagree. Designers do not build websites - they merely design them. Designers use Photoshop, GIMP, Illustrator etc. Developers are the people who actually put the site together.

If I had a bottomless wallet, I might use Dreamweaver. But only in Code View. That said, if you are only going to use Code View, then a text editor (Notepad++ being my editor of choice) is going to work out much, much cheaper than a WYSIWYG with a code editor thrown in by the side.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#14 jwxie518

jwxie518

Speaks fluent binary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

** yeah!

Team 2197 Las Pumas Robotics!

How was your build season?

And Dreamweaver isn't bad, it's just... too... simple.

they are doing great
i am the founder of my school team, but disgracefully, something happened to me, i resigned from my position and left the team
but they did really well with their building
great for them

what a shame for me
we are nyc team, rookie this year

#15 jwxie518

jwxie518

Speaks fluent binary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:54 PM

thx all for ur help .. but i found that DW is too easy n thats y i asked if it is capable pf doing such sites ,, but now am really wanna get through HTML n Scripts in a more professional way ... & jwxie518 the site is really amazing that's the type of site am trying to build one alike ..

thx

you are welcome
i never really pay attention in learning html, css, so i can't tell you what should you do
i don't like borrowing html books from library, they don't teach you anything
but online tutorials are better
if you have the dedication to start out with basic html, don't worry about css yet
just use color=red, it doesn't matter
:)
later as you are familar with the basic synatx, you can go ahead and play around with css

#16 deer dance

deer dance

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

I suggest not, it's a $200 investment.

Take my advice and just start with Notepad, that is unless you're willing to pay such a price.

#17 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2092 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java
  • Learning:Java, C++, JavaScript

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:36 PM

@Xav

Many designers I know use Photoshop to design the pages, then they open up Dreamweaver and start to design it. Then the developers come in and do all the good stuff :)
I've returned...

#18 jwxie518

jwxie518

Speaks fluent binary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

brandon, it is true
some people design wordpress theme , joomla theme with ps, illustrator, or firework
it really depends on your skill
everyone uses different thing to accomplish one task
one can uses visual c++ to write a game program, with features that could be easily done with the visual c++, while some people they use just regular editor, or even just notepad to write whatever program they want

and deer dance, yeah that's true, if you want to follow a strict rule, then it's a lot of money
one can still download the OEM of adobe cs4 online (which i did.... shssssss)

again, like everyone trys to say, begin with a simple editor like notepad will give you help
if you like highlight syntax, then get emeditor, or notepad++, those are great editors for coding, since notepad is only a plain text editor (no highlight feature, if you like to read your code in a easier way)

plus, getting other editor other than notepad because sometime, people find the uf8-encode conflict with notepad (which is not really true in any case, it doesn't add bom from what i know. it's wordpad that adds the bom thing)
but i will suggest you get a good editor, those two, EmEditor / notepad ++ either one will be a great use.

just get yourself some dediaction, you will get through it
one may find dw easier to start with and end up with being a professional web coder

#19 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:01 PM

Just a statement of what I do:
I use jEdit as my primary editor. It has syntax highlighting, but saves files as flat text. It also has powerful plugins and regex tools.
I use Firefox as my browser with the Firebug and Webdeveloper plugins. They allow me to debug Javascript as it executes, view properties, view the CSS inheritance, etc.

Large portions of my sites are dynamically generated based on database content, so I might try doing a static mockup in something like Kompozer, but for the most part I have existing code that will adjust to what I need with a minor amount of tweaking.

All of this is done with completely free tools.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#20 jwxie518

jwxie518

Speaks fluent binary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

jEdit
pretty cool, just went and took a look at those screenshots

this is the great thing about today's internet, too many things being offer freely (or even with hacks....shssssss)
all you need is the skill and commitment

#21 deer dance

deer dance

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

Hmm... I forgot about KompoZer.
It's not quite Dreamweaver, but it has a tabular function where you type in the HTML source, then click one of a few tabs to see your page in either normal, element, or tag view (don't quote me on tab names).

And jwxie518 (PM a linky?)

#22 miromtm

miromtm

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:27 PM

you are welcome
i never really pay attention in learning html, css, so i can't tell you what should you do
i don't like borrowing html books from library, they don't teach you anything
but online tutorials are better
if you have the dedication to start out with basic html, don't worry about css yet
just use color=red, it doesn't matter
:)
later as you are familar with the basic synatx, you can go ahead and play around with css

yea , me 2 i hate programming books , online tutorials are much better .i will start today my first HTML lesson from the site u recommended its really amazing ,, thx bro

#23 miromtm

miromtm

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

I suggest not, it's a $200 investment.

Take my advice and just start with Notepad, that is unless you're willing to pay such a price.

sure man , but the fact is that I FOUND THE CRACK n I got DW full :D

#24 jwxie518

jwxie518

Speaks fluent binary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

lol miromtm better not to mention that
anyway, the one thing i notice is, even if you have to get a book, go search around your local library, don't waste money on purchasing a book (even if they are from amazon, those used books)
i don't know how many time i had been playing around with php starter books. i looked at them and they were like.... unrealisitcs
some of them are outdated, and so many with mistakes or missing something
so i instead trust online referrence, like forum, or well-know site

that link he gave you is never wrong :]

enjoy~

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download