Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Help on designs

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2092 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java
  • Learning:Java, C++, JavaScript

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:44 AM

Well honestly, I have never been a designer. I used to be able to make really good signatures for forums, but I lost that skill a long time ago. Developing is my new thang :)

But now, I have to design and develop a site for my brother and I. But, like I said, I have never been good for designs. I will show you my really bad skills;

Design #1;
Posted Image

This was my original design, I did all the HTML and CSS for this and then I decided. Nah, it doesn't suit the BMX theme. So I went on and created layout 2, which I seemed to have lost :eek:

Design #3;
Posted Image

Also, that is my brother on the bike in that photo. The purple bike frame near the top is his, and BMX Bandits is not actually on the bike.

I quite liked this one, till I go to the part with the older news. The older news and the latest news just didn't work well, so I started again. This is my fourth design. This one is my favourite, hardly completed though;

Design #4;
Posted Image

Please I would like some tips on what I could do with design #4, and how I could fix design #3 to look good. I really need to change the Latest News and Older News bars, so they are the main ideas.
I've returned...

#2 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:58 AM

Where is design #2? I like #3. I'm not sure what else you could improve, the design is a bit limited with expanding but I am not very good at design anyway.

#3 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:36 AM

I like #3.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#4 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

Design #3 is OK, but the text contrast needs to be much clearer, and a new logo wouldn't go amiss either. :)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#5 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 2092 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:59 PM

Yer, I can't seem to find where to put a logo yet for #3. It's always text that is hard.

@Jordan
I lost #2. I can't seem to find it.
I've returned...

#6 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:04 PM

Perhaps you could modify design #3 so that there is another object at the top above the notepad thingy, maybe a pencil case or something, which could then house a nice, chunky logo.

The answer to bad text contrast is simple - put the text on a solid background. Perhaps an 80% transparent background under the text would like nice.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#7 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 2092 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:12 PM

There is no room for a pencil case? Also it's BMX?
I've returned...

#8 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:14 PM

I am fully aware that it is BMX. If you have a notepad then you jolly well need a pencil case to go with it, otherwise it is useless in its function. :)

If there is no room, then make room! Move the other elements down by a few hundred pixels and there, you have room.

#9 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 2092 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:19 PM

True, maybe I will :) Then have the pictures on the journal to look like they are sketched with a pencil. I don't know, I will need to play around with it when I get home.
I've returned...

#10 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:20 PM

Best of luck with your designs. :)

Just make you sure you follow web standards as well!

#11 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 2092 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

Thanks mate ;)

Always try my best :) And you can't forget Netiquette.
I've returned...

#12 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:13 AM

A good idea is to press Ctrl-Shift-S (with the Web Developer toolbar installed) to turn off CSS, and see how the page looks text-only. This is how search engines see it.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download