Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Frameworks

ajax

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2092 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java
  • Learning:Java, C++, JavaScript

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

Well, over the the last week or so, when I am not at school or work I try to get on the computer. That is with the amount of homework I do aswell, but I seem to get on the computer more than what I have imagined.

So I have started to learn Ajax. It's not really hard at all! I know Ajax is a term, so I really should have said. I have started to learn how to use the XMLHttpRequest function.

In doing this, I have been looking around in my magazines and they talk a lot about Dreamweaver. So when I am reading through, I look at Dreamweaver as well and it made me think with their Ajax Framework, Spry.

I started to read about them on the web, and I found a few of the most popular ones. Prototype, jQuery and Sajax. So I downloaded them all, including Spry just wanting to look around.

I want to see what I can do with these Ajax Frameworks. I am wondering, what experiences you have had with these Frameworks and what you think of the frameworks you have used.

I am really interested in reading John's reply :)
I've returned...

#2 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 14 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

I'm actually looking at using jQuery in some of my work for my job. It looks like it brings a LOT of functionality to the table.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#3 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

jQuery is very powerful.

#4 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 2092 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:53 PM

Any personal experiences with jQuery?
I've returned...

#5 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

Yes. I was just using it the other day, actually - but I cannot remember for what. I've never made anything using jQuery, I've only edited other people's work with it. MooTools is popular as well:

MooTools - a compact javascript framework

It is used for this template on CC. I know a lot of Joomla! templates use this compact framework. I've also used EXT JS, which is my personal favorite. I wrote a blog about it somewhere.

#6 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 2092 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:50 PM

I noticed you changed your avatar :)

So I am guessing you know MooTools if you a lot of Joolma!? Yes I remember reading that blog :) It was EXT JS vs something, you wanted to get John to blog more. Is EXT JS powerful?
I've returned...

#7 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:03 AM

Jordan's blog was Ext Gwt vs Ext JS, and the difference is that EXT JS is a JavaScript library while Ext Gwt is a Java library which compiles into JavaScript. The compiler thus makes your code more efficient, in many instances. I have used Ext Gwt, Ext JS, jQuery, MooTools, and have dabbled with Dojo. Dojo seems to be the most powerful followed by jQuery. The Ext* libraries simply provide easy to use rich interfaces (something you could accomplish with other tool kits as well, but not as easily). jQuery has a funky syntax, but it seems to be widely supported. If I were to sit down and learn the ins and outs of a particular library with intent of large scale use, it would be jQuery.

#8 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 2092 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 02:42 AM

As I said about John's post :) And you use Ext Gwt, right? What happens when some Java code could not compile into Javascript?

I have started learning jQuery now, also reading through the documentation. It seems to have many great plug-ins which make code so much easier! I always knew what a framework was, I also knew what they could do, but never knew how powerful they were till I tried one :)

Another great thing about jQuery, is it has many advanced selectors :)
API/1.3/Selectors - jQuery JavaScript Library
I've returned...

#9 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:25 AM

I use Ext Gwt for one of my undergraduate research projects I am involved with, simply because something needed to get done and I did not want to spend hours familiarizing myself with both the syntax and semantics of an JavaScript library. With Ext Gwt, I only needed to familiarize myself with the semantics since I was already proficient in Java.

To answer your question, when the Java doesn't compile, nothing happens. You have to fix the error that is causing the compiler to complain before you can proceed.

#10 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 2092 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 01:21 PM

Hmmmmm interesting. Do you ever plan to learn JS or a JS Framework?
I've returned...

#11 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:38 PM

I know enough JavaScript to do some trivial tasks such as form validation, and I would love to become more familiar with both JavaScript and a JavaScript Library, but right now my time is spent learning things I need to learn, not things I would like to learn. You know how it is.

#12 Brandon W

Brandon W

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 2092 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:20 AM

Yer, I know what you mean :) What do you need to learn now-adays?
I've returned...

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download