Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Animation & Graphics

timer animation

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#13 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:59 AM

There is nothing wrong with using a simple GIF as an animation in a website... it is always better than using flash for a simple animation.

#14 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:50 AM

Not always. For vector-oriented graphics, Flash is much smaller in file size than an equivalent rasterised GIF animation.

I was just saying that GIF animations on websites that I have seen always look tacky and crude.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#15 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:45 AM

the only thing that I hate about gif is that it supports too little colors.

#16 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:04 AM

I never have that problem when web designing. For a non-transparent image with very few colours, I go for GIF. I also go for GIF when the colours need to exactly match another element in the page, to avoid issues with IE's gamma "correction".

If I need alpha transparency or more colours, I just use either the PNG8 or PNG24 format respectively, with the UnitPNG Fix under an HTML conditional statement for IE6.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: timer, animation

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download