Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Php or asp.net or python or c# for me?

asp.net

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 coolguythampy

coolguythampy

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:50 AM

Hi,

Now i know this question might have been asked a 100 times. But i am asking this again because i cant figure out one for my requirement.
Here are my requirements

1. The language must be able to develop dynamic websites
2. The language must be able to create programs which can run on windows/linux with good user interface
3. The language must be pretty easy to study. (Considering i have 1-2 year experience with c++)

Please suggest one. Php or asp.net or python or c#???? Please suggest other languages too if you know it would benefit my need.

There are lots of training institutes which teach asp.net, php around here. I have not found one for python in my area. I live in trivandrum, kerala, India.

Thank you so much in advance

#2 moonknight

moonknight

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:09 AM

id say python (i personally haven't used it) but it should be able to fit your requirment.
programming is like s*x................................one mistake an you have to support it the rest of your life

#3 coolguythampy

coolguythampy

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:23 AM

I have been looking for PYTHON tutorials. Cant find my hands on one. SO is python capable of creating a program like say tune up utility? I just said as an example of a program

I have heard that PHP would not be a suitable choice for high traffic websites. Is it true? Also isn't PHP mainly a scripting language? Will it be able to deliver top class program development?

#4 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:22 PM

Python is not often used to create websites. I suggest PHP. It is free, runs on Windows/Linux, lots of free information on the Internet and is easy to learn/use.

Posted via CodeCall Mobile

#5 coolguythampy

coolguythampy

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:36 PM

I heard python is one of the official pgming languages in google. Anyway I dont mind if it is easy or difficult to learn. i am pretty good at grasping things. So aside from that php scores over .net right?

i am not getting an answer to my question as to whether php or .net or python can be used to create programs like tune up utilities or a business software or something like that? I want a project to be done during my final year. The project must be a software like railway reservation system or so. But i want to make something unique and a bit complex. That is why i want to take the pain to study this 1.5 years ahead of the scheduled date. Someone please answer me that.

#6 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

I am sure google does use Python, they use just about every language. Python was not developed specificly for the web, like PHP and ASP.

Please be more specific about the other program you want to make. Is this a desktop application that will have a GUI? Will it be ran as a console app? Windows or Linux? etc..

#7 coolguythampy

coolguythampy

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

Is this a desktop application that will have a GUI?

Yes it is

Will it be ran as a console app?

I am not sure about what you mean by console app

Windows or Linux?

WIndows

etc..

The software i create must be able to do things like

1. Hospital management software with GUI
2. Banking management system with GUI
3. Some sort of common software's like ftp clients, browsers etc.

#8 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

If you're creating a web app, I would use PHP or ASP.NET. If you're creating a desktop app, I would use C++, a .NET, Java, or Delphi. If you're going to do both, I would probably learn C#.NET or VB.NET which can be used for both the desktop app and the ASP.NET code (since ASP.NET is not a "language" per se).

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#9 coolguythampy

coolguythampy

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

I would be doing both. My main aim will be desktop applications though.

#10 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 17 January 2009 - 02:47 PM

Go with C# or VB.NET then. This way you can build desktop and web applications using the same language.

#11 elegos

elegos

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:31 AM

Not all the people know that PHP can be executed like a normal program.

If you want to create a server/client application, cross-platform (linux, windows, mac os) with a graphical user interface, I would sincerly suggest you JAVA. If you don't like it (like me), then PHP.

PHP is well documented, it is similar to C++ and thus easy to learn, was born to create dynamic pages, supports a lot of extensions, works great with MySQL and, as I said before, it can be launched as an application in the OS environment.

In any case I would suggest you to build the system in C++ because of its stability and speed.

The GUI maybe built upon wxWidgets graphical library (cross-platform).

Best should be a Mac OS GUI built upon Cocoa, the Mac OS X graphical library, in Visual Basic for Vista (.NET framework), GTK/QT4 for Linux (one of the two).

And the last thing: make sure to make encrypted connections between server/client!

#12 Excited

Excited

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:41 AM

Use Python with a framework such as Django, web2py etc, alot of websites do in fact use Python such as: reddit.com: what's new online! .

web2py: Enterprise Web Framework
Django | The Web framework for perfectionists with deadlines

For GUI programming in Python I suggest using PyQt, which is rather easy to learn and allows rapid development.

PyQt - PythonInfo Wiki

Python is easy to learn, just take a look at the official Python tutorial.

The Python Tutorial — Python v2.7 documentation

For elegos post above me:

Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• picard-facepalm..jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: asp.net

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download