Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How do I setup GRUB? - 9 Operating Systems - 1 Hard-Drive

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#25 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:59 AM

Well, here is how I do my dual boot, and I have no problems... it should work for more OSes...

Install Windows first then install another OS, like Linux and make sure that during installation it will install GRUB on THAT partition, leave the MBR as it is.. so if you install ubuntu on partition 2, install grub for ubuntu on partition 2.. that way each and every partition will be bootable with GRUB (or each OS using it's worn boot loader)

Then use the windows bootloader (use easybcd and just select that partition) and the windows boot loader will boot and you can choose the OSes... this can be done using GRUB too I think.. you can set up GRUB to load another GRUB of the OS.... so each OS will have it's own GRUB and then there will be ONE MAIN GRUB.

I think that is the way it should be done.

#26 Panarchy

Panarchy

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

Well, here is how I do my dual boot, and I have no problems... it should work for more OSes...

Install Windows first then install another OS, like Linux and make sure that during installation it will install GRUB on THAT partition, leave the MBR as it is.. so if you install ubuntu on partition 2, install grub for ubuntu on partition 2.. that way each and every partition will be bootable with GRUB (or each OS using it's worn boot loader)

Then use the windows bootloader (use easybcd and just select that partition) and the windows boot loader will boot and you can choose the OSes... this can be done using GRUB too I think.. you can set up GRUB to load another GRUB of the OS.... so each OS will have it's own GRUB and then there will be ONE MAIN GRUB.

I think that is the way it should be done.

Hi

If you are mentioning logical and primary partitions at all, I sorted that out. Apparently OpenSolaris can be installed to a logical partition!

So I install Windows 7 to a Primary.

3 down, 6 to go.

(been downloading Server 2008 for a while now)

With the Boot Menu's, I plan on having every boot menu showing every thing!

So you boot to any of the GRUB's, and you have an option to boot into any of the OSs.

Same thing with the other boot-loaders.

I'll tell you how this ends up.

Panarchy

#27 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:18 AM

Ok. once you are done... shoot us a post :D

#28 Panarchy

Panarchy

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:52 AM

Hi

Just been sidetracked recently, as I am studying very hard for my 70-270 exam.

Once I've done that, I'll get back to this!

Thanks for asking though!

Panarchy

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download