Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Blue Screen - Unknown Message

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:25 PM

I've been getting various BSODs with a particularly troublesome computer at work. Here are the ones that I recognize:

A process or thread crucial to system operation has
unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003,0x86EB42D0,0x805FB046)
STOP: 0xc000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows SubSystem system process terminated unexpectedly
with a status of 0xc00000005 (0x7e756216 0x006aef84)
The system has been shut down.

This one, however, is a mystery. Google turns up literally nothing:

STOP: d000009a Unknown Hard Error
Unknown Hard Error

Any idea as to what can cause this? I'm pretty sure it's the IDE controller, but I'm not 100% sure. Changing the hard drive or cables does nothing.

#2 Turk4n

Turk4n

???

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, Bash
  • Learning:C++, C#, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others

Posted 05 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

I've been getting various BSODs with a particularly troublesome computer at work. Here are the ones that I recognize:

A process or thread crucial to system operation has
unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003,0x86EB42D0,0x805FB046)
STOP: 0xc000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows SubSystem system process terminated unexpectedly
with a status of 0xc00000005 (0x7e756216 0x006aef84)
The system has been shut down.

This one, however, is a mystery. Google turns up literally nothing:

STOP: d000009a Unknown Hard Error
Unknown Hard Error

Any idea as to what can cause this? I'm pretty sure it's the IDE controller, but I'm not 100% sure. Changing the hard drive or cables does nothing.

Have you tried to press F8 before starting the computer and selected the option "Last known good configuration?". It could be a possible chance it's a software error causing that problem.
Otherwise try to google!

#3 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:28 AM

Have you followed this guide? How to troubleshoot a "STOP 0xC000021A" error

#4 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others

Posted 06 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

Turk4n: That was one of the first things I tried, and it didn't help. Putting in a new hard drive didn't help either - it crashed while installing Windows.

Jordan: I can't get into Windows, since it does it randomly at boot time. Sometimes it lets me get to the login screen and then crashes, sometimes it doesn't make it to the Windows logo. Hence Dr. Watson is useless. It crashes while booting from the Windows installation CD as well.

#5 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 06 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

If it crashes while booting and from the install CD it has to be a hardware error. Have you ran any diagnostics on your Hard Drive and/or RAM? I know that Dell computers have these tools on a separate partition from the factory but you can also find tools such as this online.

#6 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 02:06 PM

I figured as much. I don't have any tools or diagnostic partitions, but I'll check online. It's definitely not the hard drive, as I mentioned before putting a brand-new one in didn't change anything. The RAM might be faulty, although it passes the BIOS test just fine. I'll check online.

#7 Turk4n

Turk4n

???

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, Bash
  • Learning:C++, C#, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others

Posted 07 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

I figured as much. I don't have any tools or diagnostic partitions, but I'll check online. It's definitely not the hard drive, as I mentioned before putting a brand-new one in didn't change anything. The RAM might be faulty, although it passes the BIOS test just fine. I'll check online.

Okay !

#8 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:44 AM

I suppose it could be the motherboard, CPU, Video Card or just about anything. About 3 years ago there was a large problem with Motherboards having bad capacitors. They would swell and bleed and cause your computer to do very random things. I worked with about 4-5 that did this and it varied what would happen from blue-screen to video shutting off unexpectedly.

#9 phpforfun

phpforfun

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:09 AM

I havent read the entire thread, sorry.

If this happens right when you boot up, try to enable safe mode.

Once you are in, enable memory dump files

once it bluescreens again, download the .dmp file, and use a dump reader to read it

#10 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

It does it in safe mode too. I can't get into Windows at all. I checked all the capacitors and they seem fine, no burn marks or anything. The computer is always left on and sits in an incredibly filthy office at the power house behind the school, so that probably has something to do with it.

#11 phpforfun

phpforfun

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

heating issue..?

#12 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4854 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Still did it with the case open in a cold lab.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download