Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Firefox is officially stupid as of today...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#13 Turk4n

Turk4n

???

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, Bash
  • Learning:C++, C#, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

Had same problem. Try out Minefield it looks really neat and works superb. I can't promise it will work as good as it did for me :)

#14 amrosama

amrosama

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2765 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:51 PM

Opera stinks. The addons are horrible little floating Java widgets that don't even dock.

ive never tried the addons but browsing is neat, i care about how fast the browser starts up and its pretty faster
yo homie i heard you like one-line codes so i put a one line code that evals a decrypted one line code that prints "i love one line codes"
eval(base64_decode("cHJpbnQgJ2kgbG92ZSBvbmUtbGluZSBjb2Rlcyc7"));
www.amrosama.com | the unholy methods of javascript

#15 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:54 PM

Some pages are incompatible with Opera. I don't even test my pages for it.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#16 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:15 PM

I'm set to test issues in my web-apps against IE, FireFox, Safari, Opera, and (now) Chrome. That said, I develop in FireFox and spot-check it in IE. The QA guy tests in both FF and IE.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#17 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:19 PM

I find that if I have coded a page well and properly, it tends to look identical in FF and IE. If I have used sloppy coding techniques (such as tables for layouts, messy paddings/margins etc.) then they look different and even wrong in one browser.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#18 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:30 PM

I don't recall having issues with tables between IE and FF... you doing something odd?

#19 Turk4n

Turk4n

???

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:36 PM

I don't recall having issues with tables between IE and FF... you doing something odd?

I think does were old issues that FF had.

#20 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:46 AM

i've never had issues with tables either, my issues are always with div's and text alignment.

#21 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

I made the mistake of trying to be too precise. I recently attempted to salvage some tables that zeroradius couldn't get to resize, and was reminded of the time when I used to use tables for layouts. Most of my problems stemmed from the fact that I didn't reset margins/paddings with a universal CSS selector (*) and so FF and IE did indeed render the tables with different sizes. Things like one-pixel differences (detected upon examining screenshots of pages in closer detail) made graphics misaligned and generally caused havoc.

Thank goodness for <div> standards. :)

#22 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:17 AM

I like tables a lot... for laying out tabular data. I agree that layout should be done with div tags.

#23 xXHalfSliceXx

xXHalfSliceXx

CC Leader

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1561 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:24 AM

As for your problem. I am guessing you updated to the new FireFox 3.0

And you are not REQUIRED to update to continue. FF always asks if you want to update.

You more than likely read it incorrectly. I prob said you had to restart in order to use the new update.

Yes the new FF3 has issues, security and whatnot. But so did FF2 when it came out. You can always reinstall FF2 or an earlier version of FF2. And wait a month or two.

Also for you guys that test in FF and IE.

FF now has an addon that you can Open an IE window WITHIN FF.

I do not have a problem with stuff on FF, most of my coding issues are within IE for some reason.

N e ways, you are welcome to PM me with the issue on FF.

"ADDIN"

Try not to tie in the Forums credibility to any user including the name Meth. He has been banned. But the continuing issue is at hand. We are sorry for the unneeded comments, and will continue to serve the community at the level we have been.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 Turk4n

Turk4n

???

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:36 AM

As for your problem. I am guessing you updated to the new FireFox 3.0

And you are not REQUIRED to update to continue. FF always asks if you want to update.

You more than likely read it incorrectly. I prob said you had to restart in order to use the new update.

Yes the new FF3 has issues, security and whatnot. But so did FF2 when it came out. You can always reinstall FF2 or an earlier version of FF2. And wait a month or two.

Also for you guys that test in FF and IE.

FF now has an addon that you can Open an IE window WITHIN FF.

I do not have a problem with stuff on FF, most of my coding issues are within IE for some reason.

N e ways, you are welcome to PM me with the issue on FF.

"ADDIN"

Try not to tie in the Forums credibility to any user including the name Meth. He has been banned. But the continuing issue is at hand. We are sorry for the unneeded comments, and will continue to serve the community at the level we have been.

Great summary :)

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download