Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

case sensitive

case sensitive

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#13 Althaz

Althaz

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:31 AM

Obviously all of those work, if you know the string you want to compare thing to, you don't need to create a variable just to compare (I'm pretty sure, the program I made today seems to work, so I suspect this is right).

eg:

string input = HeresSomethingIPreparedEarlier();
if (input.ToLower() == "cake")
    return "pie";

I suspect some of those other functions are there so Java programmers feel more comfortable (eg: in Java you have to use .equals() when comparing a variable string (eg string cake = "pie") to a constant (eg: "pie").

Edited by Althaz, 21 November 2008 - 04:34 AM.
lol, left the closing bracket off the if statement...n00bish.

#14 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:42 AM

You guys should read:

Will Asrari - String.Compare() versus String.Equals()

then take a look at: New Recommendations for Using Strings in .NET 2.0

Read some of the string comparison methods. In particular this Official MS statement about ToUpper and ToLower:

Users should most certainly be careful when using these functions, since forcing a string to a certain case is often used as a small normalization for comparing strings irrespective of case. If so, consider using a case-insensitive comparison.

I still stand by my original statement that you should use String.Compare and pass the third operator to ignore case. Pass the fourth operator as the current/local language and your strings work internationally.

If you wanted to compare a variable against a known string:

if (String.Compare(input, "cake", true) == 0) {....}

#15 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:02 AM

lol, n00bs are taught that method in school when they learn .NET, as it is the proper method.

You are just arguing to increase your contest points. I believe I have seen you use my method before.

Posted via CodeCall Mobile

Incorrect on both counts. First, the contest has finished. Secondly, I have never used string.Compare() before in my memory. You fail, lulz.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: case sensitive

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download