Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Learning VB6

Visual Basic 4 / 5 / 6

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Paravus

Paravus

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:45 PM

Hello members of CodeCall,

Firstly I wish to introduce myself as I am new to this community. You may call me Paravus, I am 16 years old of age which I assume is fairly young in this community. Either way I'm currently in the first stages of learning how to program. I have very little experience in programming but am really willing to learn. I know the basics of VB6 but am wanting to learn further and from on there progress into other languages.

My question to you is where I should start, I am wanting to start from the scratch and learn as much as possible about VB6. Over the last couple of months I've been following tutorials, reading articles and making basic applications for my own learning and testing purposes. However I don't seem to make any real progress so I need someone to push my into the right direction, so in final; Where should I start?

My apologies if this is in the wrong section, moderators please move it if it is.

Thanks in advance.
- Regards, Paravus.

#2 ooisootuck

ooisootuck

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:04 PM

Find a project, put all your effort into completing the project, then you will learn. Going through tutorial and books will only give you head start but will not learn as much as complete a project.

#3 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

I agree with ooisootuck, if you feel you are advanced enough create a project and focus on completing that project. IMO, this is one of the best ways to learn. I am curious though, why did you choose VB6 rather than the new .NET version (2003, 2005, 2008)?

#4 Paravus

Paravus

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:44 AM

I see. Thank you for your advice guys, it is appreciated. In regard to Jordan's question; I didn't really choose it, but as I started to gain interest in programming I stumbled upon VB6 first and followed that. Would it be better to start with a different or newer language?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download