Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Zebulon

asp.net

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Fozzy

Fozzy

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:06 AM

Zebulon is a web programming language i have been developing for over 2 years. Zebulon is basically, all the popular programming languages of the web in one small package. This includes: HTML, JAVA, JAVASCRIPT, CSS, AJAX, PHP, ASP.NET, and many more. Some languages, such as PHP and ASP.NET have NOT been fully integrated into the Zebulon language. An starting example Zebulon script would look like this:

<zeb::"ZebulonPro.akx">
<openAs::HTML>
<zeb::BODY>
<!--ScriptBox-->
<!--EndScriptBox-->
<end::BODY>
<end::HTML>

I am looking foward to a 1.5 version of Zebulon by Christmas. You can download it at: exapto.com/zebulon/ZebulonLite.tar.gz. If the downoad link doesn't work, you can download it from the main website: exapto.com.

#2 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:21 AM

Your post is almost spam. I've left it in tact to criticize though:

1) It looks like HTML wrapped in XML. Basically you stole those two ideas and merged them?
2) Are any browsers even able to interpret that?
3) You had a mix of languages up there. Some where client side, some were server side. Which is your language?
4) Is your language interpreted or compiled?
5) Can you show us an example webpage made using your language?

#3 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:05 AM

Maybe he's written some sort of custom interpreter that spits out HTML to the browser? Odd.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#4 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

Zebulon is a web programming language i have been developing for over 2 years. Zebulon is basically, all the popular programming languages of the web in one small package. This includes: HTML, JAVA, JAVASCRIPT, CSS, AJAX, PHP, ASP.NET, and many more. Some languages, such as PHP and ASP.NET have NOT been fully integrated into the Zebulon language. An starting example Zebulon script would look like this:

<!--ScriptBox-->
<!--EndScriptBox-->

This sounds very bizarre. Is this a .NET language? I would think so based on your claim that it supports ASP.NET... The sample code doesn't look like any of the languages you mentioned. What advantages does it offer over existing languages?

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#5 ooisootuck

ooisootuck

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:46 PM

Can't see any advantages over other languages, can you please post a sample website using your language?

Thanks

#6 Fozzy

Fozzy

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:31 AM

To set one thing straight: Xav is right about one of Zebulon's basic concepts: it interprets the language written and spits it out into your browser, but not just as HTML. Zebulon has proudly and successfully rendered Javascript, HTML, DHTML, and CSS encoded webpages. Have you been coding a website, and had to make an index.html, page1.html, and style.css? Well, with Zebulon, you can write multiple scripts inside a single document and in alternating languages as well. Meaning: index.html contains:

<!--ScriptBox-->
<!--SOME HTML-->
<!--EndScriptBox-->

<!--BREAK-->

<openAs::CSS>
<!--ScriptBox-->
<!--SOME CSS-->
<!--EndScriptBox-->

Instead of there being 3 pages: index.html, page1.html, and style.css, index.html will contain the main page, the secondary page, and the style sheet.

Zebulon is considered more of a language frame, since it supports a variety of programming languages, and has no real code structure. If you wish to view an example website using the new Zebulon PHP support library, visit exapto.com.

And NO this is not spam, I really don't mind if you visit the link above or not...

#7 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:34 AM

So for it to work server-side as well - it spits out a PHP page, which then goes into a PHP interpreter, which then spits out HTML etc?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#8 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:58 AM

This seems counter-productive to me. One of the reasons I split code into multiple files is to help keep it organized. When doing ASP/ColdFusion development, I could "easily" put all the source into a single file, but then it would be a nightmare to locate a given piece of functionality and fix it.

Once you take the approach of splitting source files to ease maintainability, then the issue of mixed languages goes away, rendering Zebulon unhelpful (based on what you've said so far).

#9 Fozzy

Fozzy

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:42 PM

Well, I have spoken to a number of friends and even family members who program, and they said that they would preffer the advantage of just having to program into one single document, and use the FIND option to locate certain parts of code, instead of going through an entire library of files and folders to locate a single file.

So say if you write this:

<!--HTMLBox-->
<!--70 LINES OF HTML-->
<!--EndHTMLBox-->

<!--BREAK-->

<openAs::CSS>
<!--CSSBox-->
<!--40 LINES OF CSS-->
<!--EndCSSBox-->

And you want to find inside the HTMLBox, "<div name="division1">", you would just use the FIND option (CTRL+F) and find that snippet of code.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys! =)

#10 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:08 PM

I honestly can't believe they would prefer it. I have to ask how long have they been programming? If you take a look at the source code for this website you will see a fairly large HTML source. Now, if you included all 7 of the JavaScript files and the JQuery libraries files that they include plus the thousands of PHP files vBulletin and Joomla require (not to mention all the different CSS files) into one file it would be a nightmare.

You show simple examples but how about a large site that connects to a database, and have a multitude of data, tables, css, javascript, etc?

#11 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

• 17757 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:12 PM

One of the web-programs I maintain is over 100 source files in size, many of which have several hundred lines of code. I simply cannot imagine trying to manage a single file that is literally tens of thousands of lines of code, especially when I can treat files like function calls.

#12 Fozzy

Fozzy

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:41 AM

Jordan, I do see the great advantage of working in seperate documents to avoid 'Spaghetti Code', but I see Zebulon as an accomplishment of mine to make compact programming easier. Say if a man has to create a web page that he needs up and running the following day, but he's stuck in Italy on a family trip with no computer access, so he takes out his Blackberry and starts to write an AJAX encoded page. Well, making a series of new PHP, JAVASCRIPT, CSS, AND HTML files would be a nightmare. Thats where Zebulon comes in, to make it easier for mobile programming. And thanks again for the feedback, I'll be sure to use the suggestions in an upcoming release of Zebulon!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: asp.net

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download