Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

How can I make a Chat Website

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 5te4lthX

5te4lthX

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:00 PM

I want a website that is like Gtalk or AIM where my friends can instant message, but anyone on the website can view the chat and contribute to the chat.

Is there a way to do this completely in a .html without any database or anything. If not, what do I need? Also, is there any pre-existing sites that can fit my needs?

#2 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:29 PM

I think you are talking about a shoutbox. Here is an example (and a free host): Freeshoutbox.net - Free Shoutbox Hosting! - if that is not what you wanted post in here why it isn't and I will help you further.

#3 phpforfun

phpforfun

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:51 PM

Its easy, if you have a provider that uses Cpanel, you can use phpmychat, My server provides it..

http://www.bem-vindo...s/phpmychat.gif Thats a screenshot.

#4 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:49 PM

Is there a way to do this completely in a .html without any database or anything.

No, it is impossible to do in plain html with no databases. You need a server sided scripting language such as php. You do not necessarily need a database server however, you can use sqlite.

#5 phpforfun

phpforfun

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:44 PM

you can use PHP to write it to a log, and then have the chat box auto update every second or two..

#6 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:36 AM

Or you can always go the IRC route. I set up 3 web based clients on Podnet. Simply use someone's irc server like efnet, mibbit, or mine (podnet), and use mibbit as a client embedded in your page Link To Mibbit.

You can easily get the mibbit client embed code like I did for podnet (a touch customized though) (look for it in their wiki) and its all in html. Create a channel on the server (possibly register your name / channel) and you're all set to go.

I've also found that IRC is the most reliable way to chat on the internet when an Instant Messenger is out of the question. It also supports thousands of people in the same room. Many people who use my server like mibbit because its fast and easy to use :)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#7 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

You mean something like Cbox · About Cbox · Free Tagboard and Chat Widget for your Site ?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#8 antoniyo

antoniyo

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 05:20 AM

You can create a free website with Microsoft Office Live Small Business - Office Live Offers - Affiliate Program . It has a free design tool that allows you to create web pages without coding. It has 500mb of web space and no ads. To put a chat window on your office live site, you can use Meebo Room - Meebo Rooms | meebo it's very easy to do.

web design
free web tamplates

#9 djkee

djkee

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:18 AM

You can also just use one of the many free flash chat rooms.
Just google free flash chat and i am sure you will find some.

I used one on my website but i forgot the name of it :)

#10 taphiconnect

taphiconnect

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:48 PM

If you want some chatting websites you can check this out Connecting people to places together . Is not just chatting sites it can Connect to people in your City.Chat,share photos,discuss,make friends, join the community,its free,fun and you can connect to other locations to expand your world. Be amazing !

Hope this would be your place!

#11 riley

riley

CC Lurker

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Programming Language:C++, C#, PHP, (Visual) Basic, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Bash, Others

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

I know this may be a little late but I'll still put it out there:
I wrote this simple chat room which requires just html, js, and php.
check my website: jsRequestChat

#12 RhetoricalRuvim

RhetoricalRuvim

JavaScript Programmer

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

If you'd be using JavaScript, you can take a look at AJAX and SSE.

AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript And XML) is for sending HTTP requests to your server, and it works on all major browsers. The responses from the server can also be received with AJAX. Here's a reference:
http://www.w3schools...jax/default.asp

SSE stands for Server Sent Events and is similar to AJAX but this time the server is what sends event messages to the client script and a function that you set gets called every time a new message is received from the server. This can be particularly useful for the instant responsiveness of a chat messaging room, but SSE is HTML5 technology and is not supported by some browsers.

Internet Explorer does not support SSE yet. Here's a reference for SSE:
http://www.w3schools...rsentevents.asp
Regards,
RR

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download