Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Favorite Development Environment

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#13 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:46 AM

Have you found a vi editor for Windows? I've never looked.

#14 MeTh0Dz

MeTh0Dz

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:59 AM

Yes, here... download : vim online

#15 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:52 AM

Excellent, thank you! As a purist, I'm astonished that you are using the improved version. That is kind of like using .NET instead of winAPI, correct? :)

#16 MeTh0Dz

MeTh0Dz

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:00 AM

No, it is nothing like using .NET as opposed to WinAPI. That is like comparing apples to oranges. What you basically said is that I wouldn't want to use the most recent C standard, I would stick with the original. Which is obviously not true.

My issue with .NET versus WinAPI is that .NET is a wrapper and can only offer you decreased performance and more abstraction.

#17 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 17 September 2008 - 07:37 AM

ViM is only a wrapper (with improved functions) to vi - in a sense. It is like using Netbeans vs Eclipse then. Netbeans has many improvements such as form editor.

#18 MeTh0Dz

MeTh0Dz

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:01 AM

It has nothing to do with my program's performance, so even if it was a wrapper I wouldn't car.

Although I still consider it to be a second version as opposed to a wrapper.

#19 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:20 AM

Eh, I was trying to stimulate you into debate. Actually, I believe ViM (developer: Bram Moolenaar in 1991) is a branch, or clone, of vi (developer: Bill Joy in 1976). I do not know if vi is still being developed by Unix system owners (SUN, AT&T, etc) although I know that HP-UX still uses "version 1" which is very frustrating to work with at times. The history behind each is an interesting read though. I did not realize that ViM had a built in tutorial system though.

vi History
Vim (text editor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

#20 marwex89

marwex89

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2857 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:09 AM

I stick to netbeans, although it do have some drawbacks. It suits me well, and looks nice :D
Hey! Check out my new Toyota keyboaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

#21 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:47 AM

I'm surprised to see that only John likes eclipse, That does everything in one also and does it quite neatly.

Vi might be very light weight, but does it do syntax highlighting, pre compiling, etc?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#22 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:01 AM

Vi might be very light weight, but does it do syntax highlighting, pre compiling, etc?

vi does not do syntax highlighting, ViM does. Neither do pre compiling if I understand what you mean (highlighting/underlining errors in code).

#23 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

vi does not do syntax highlighting, ViM does. Neither do pre compiling if I understand what you mean (highlighting/underlining errors in code).

Thats what I meant about pre-compiling. I'm a fan of pre-compiling and I'm not sure if I could give it up easily.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#24 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:32 PM

I use jEdit a lot a work, along with the Delphi environment. jEdit has replaced ViM and CrimsonEditor for me because of the ease of adding new syntax highlighting rules and the support for multi-line Regex's. I've been trying Code::Blocks, but have pretty much given up on it as a waste of time. I've tried ViM, but I've pretty well forgotten vi syntax since I last used it back in '95.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download