Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Ideal Page Size?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 09:32 AM

Should I try and cater for 800x600 screens when I design pages, or just leave them behind and fix my pages for 1024x768 screens? Pages that change shape to match a screen are often difficult to control in terms of appearance, so they should really be fixed. What do you guys think?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#2 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:06 AM

Why not make your pages fluid? Say 90% of the screen? However, whenever I make fixed width designs, I design them for 1024 x 786 resolutions.

#3 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:13 AM

OK. Fluid designs that resize give you much less control over the size of the page. Like CC, for example.

Yahoo use fixed layouts, as do the BBC, which is our broadcasting service in Britain.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#4 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

The current CC theme is not actually fluid.

#5 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:01 AM

Yes, that was what I was saying! Sorry, worded that badly. I meant that fluid designs don't give as much control as designs like CC.

#6 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:19 AM

True, but CC theme could easily be fluid without loosing any control.

#7 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 11:20 AM

True, but not all layouts work as fluid designs...

#8 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

Fluid designs are very hard to make valid xhtml / css in my experience. I have also had great difficulty using 100% values in css, my pages always &*@# up in FF3, and forget IE7.

I prefer designing on a fixed page size, and codecall currently does it and it is designed really well by my standards.

#9 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:37 PM

Fluid designs are very hard to make valid xhtml / css in my experience. I have also had great difficulty using 100% values in css, my pages always &*@# up in FF3, and forget IE7.

I prefer designing on a fixed page size, and codecall currently does it and it is designed really well by my standards.

Are you the type of person who would design for a 800x600 resolution? For all those Windows 95 users who run IE5, have a 56k dial up modem, and a video card which has a maximum resolution of 800x600...

#10 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:52 PM

Are you the type of person who would design for a 800x600 resolution? For all those Windows 95 users who run IE5, have a 56k dial up modem, and a video card which has a maximum resolution of 800x600...

I design for 1024x768 now. I would design for 800x600, but it looks really ugly on a newer computer.

I have some sympathy for people with older operating systems and browsers because I still like IE6 over IE7 and refuse to upgrade because of it. But there is a point in time where we all must upgrade and that's why I'm moving away from 800x600.

#11 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

Design for 1024x768. Who actually uses anything less now (other than old people with old computers)?

#12 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

Erm, lots of school computers. :(

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download