Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Best flavor of Linux for LAMP server?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:46 PM

Hey guys, I am going to be setting up my laptop as a LAMP server for working on my code on the run (and because I need some hands on for this server administration class) What in your opinion is the best flavor for that?
Posted Image

#2 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:04 AM

Why don't you try a few, see which one is best?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#3 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:40 PM

Try a few.

I've found that ubuntu and centos are the easiest 2 flavors to set up for LAMP. There is also mandriva which has an xp like interface that will install it for you. I recommend that you should try these before trying others.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#4 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:45 PM

Just about any flavor works well. I don't think there is a right or wrong here.

#5 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:47 PM

Well if you are looking to run a stable server, a bleeding edge desktop version of linux is probably not your best bet. However, since stability probably isnt a huge concern, any distro would work. I've found setting up a LAMP on Ubuntu to be very easy (not to mention the boundless support offered by their forums).

#6 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 10:48 PM

ok, sounds good. I will go with Ubuntu then sence I already have the disks. I think I should have worded my question diffrent I was wondering what is used most by large companies. I have the newest Ms server I think I will set up later. For my LAMP server i think i will also use Exim for my mail client and tomcat for apps. Does that sound like industry standards or is there somthing else I should use? I have a list of app servers but tomcat seesms to be the widest used from what I have seen. I already have a book on Exim is why I am going to use that.
Posted Image

#7 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:59 AM

the most popular linux distros used in the industry (for hosting) are Redhat enterprise, CentOS, and ubuntu server.

#8 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:02 AM

the most popular linux distros used in the industry (for hosting) are Redhat enterprise, CentOS, and ubuntu server.

Linux Dist Popularity

The reason why Redhat is popular is because it is developed similar to Microsoft Windows and you need to buy a license to use it. People like that because they can receive professional grade support at a price.

CentOS is popular because of CPanel (The most popular web hosting panel today). CPanel only supports CentOS / Redhat, and thats why they are so popular.

Ubuntu wasn't popular until about a year or two ago, but its quickly making its way to the easiest linux ever. I like Ubuntu the most, however there are some aspects of Redhat (like the yum package manager) that I still like better that the equivalent in Ubuntu.

#9 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:15 AM

**** Small Linux is a good choice if you don't want a lot of junk running beside it.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#10 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. That has complytly answered my questions.
Posted Image

#11 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:35 PM

What did you end up going with?

#12 CallBackGuy

CallBackGuy

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:03 AM

Slackware is a good choice, IMO.
EDIT:
/me Looks at the date, OH SH** >_>. Cary on.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download