Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Direct link from a webpage to desktop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Azno

Azno

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 07:40 PM

I was just wondering, I am working on a project for work of a portal for all employees to work from, with links to programs used in transport, along with a live video stream from the cameras and a script runing i dont know what language yet, will know monday, all from the same place.

Now I was just wondering if theres any special calls that I have to make for shortcuts on the webpage to open programs from file refs. Is there a command like mailto: for emails that i need to have entered??

Thanks

Edited by Azno, 03 August 2008 - 08:38 PM.

#2 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 04 August 2008 - 05:19 AM

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Are you trying to open a local file on the users machine?

#3 jessje

jessje

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:16 PM

You can set the homepage to your portal main page, or use specialized programs like mozilla has released in beta. (forgotten the name) which try to bring website to the desktop.

#4 jessje

jessje

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:19 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. Are you trying to open a local file on the users machine?

If i understand right he wants to make links on te local destop to the portal and portal entries, lets say its for a store like Compusa, he wants a shortcuts ont the desktop for the repair module, cash register module, crm module, stock module, etc.

@Azno: please correct me if i am wrong

#5 Azno

Azno

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:18 PM

Actually its not that complicated, i might of expressed myself wrong. I would like the website to run locally at first, and I would like to have shortcut icons on the site, that open programs on the local machine.

Lets say I have shortcut Wordpad, I use the href= c:/program files/wordpad/wordpad.exe . I tried that and nothing happens. Is there a command line to punch into the link line for it to open a local application.

#6 Azno

Azno

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

Nobody?

#7 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:21 AM

I think I understand and the answer is no, not with HTML alone. You can use JavaScript for this sort of thing but I do not know to what extent. Here is a link with more information: Open Microsoft Excel, Word Application from Javascript - Digital Inspiration

#8 Azno

Azno

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:49 PM

That is only a small part of it, I am actually looking to have shortcuts to other programs, forget about .doc .xls .pwp I dont need to open this right now, but the link is interesting. The only thing I would like is having that HTML/Javascript would be to just open the program based on the call line file:///h:/program files/ dukenukem3d.exe by example. I want to run a application.

Not word, not excel, I want it to look for the program on the path specified and open it directly from the person's PC.

How can I do that?

#9 Orjan

Orjan

CC Mentor

• 2918 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Pascal
  • Learning:Java, C#

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:35 AM

I have a feeling that this can't be done by html/js because it's a saftey risk so MS has turned the possibility off.

I guess that the only way to do it is to load an signed Active X applet that can start programs. with all settings that comes to allow that if your environment is secured and stuff...

there might be other ways of course, but this is the obvious way for me.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download