Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

When did you start Writing html?

HTML

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#37 vonneffdobermans

vonneffdobermans

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:12 PM

I started back about 15 years ago... I started using notepad... Now I use whatever floats my boat... lol

#38 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:24 AM

And what floats your boat now?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#39 vonneffdobermans

vonneffdobermans

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

Mainly any text editor... But I like to use diff. programs to give me some new and fresh ideas, etc... I have used a few programs, even as simple as Frontpage, The newer one from Microsoft, Dreamweaver.. I like to test them all out to see what else I can learn... Thats the way I learn... Just trying it all out.

Next will be PHP.

#40 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:02 PM

Have you tried Notepad++? It's very good.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#41 vonneffdobermans

vonneffdobermans

CC Newcomer

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:14 AM

No, I have not... But I will now... hehe

Thanks for the heads up... :)

#42 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:51 AM

It has great syntax highlighting, once you edit the fact that it makes comments into Comic Sans MS.

#43 xXHalfSliceXx

xXHalfSliceXx

CC Leader

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1561 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:45 AM

I was introduced to HTML in 1995 from a neighbor of mine. I shortly after that inter graded PHP. LoL. i wish i still had the html from my website.

It actually used to be about 3 pages of < Center > <a href and whatnot

Then i learned a bit of script. Then after that I really went into editing text more than starting from scratch.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 ZipOnTrousers

ZipOnTrousers

CC Resident

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:01 AM

Last year I started HTML, I'm 18 now. Our School introduced me to it first, unbelievably still teaching us to use tables and focusing on editing the design of the page using inline style elements.

Since then my first year Uni level Computing course has had a module on web authoring and taught me slightly better habbits and inspired my interest in web design again. I went out and bought a copy of "CSS: The Missing Manual" by David McFarland as I felt I understood HTML well enough and had to start concentrating on good CSS practice.

Just now we have a group assignment to pick our own topic and implement a web site on said topic as well as give a 10 minute presentation in front of the whole first year. I volunteered to design the actual web page itself.

Pretty much I use TextWrangler for the mac with a script to preview pages in web browsers with a button press as its not a built in feature of TW.

#45 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:07 AM

Last year I started HTML, I'm 18 now. Our School introduced me to it first, unbelievably still teaching us to use tables and focusing on editing the design of the page using inline style elements.

At least you were taught to use CSS. We were taught that CSS was bad. I've failed final projects for using CSS and the comments I've got were "I don't know what this is, HTML is the correct way to design web pages". :-o

#46 ZipOnTrousers

ZipOnTrousers

CC Resident

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:15 PM

Thats some good teaching there lol, where do you live? Did they even let you use like font tags and stuff or did you jsut have black and white pages lol?

#47 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 26 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

I live in Canada.

Yes we used font tags, but they had to be a certain way. If you used quotes on attributes, your code was incorrect. If it was in lowercase it was wrong. Our web design program was very stupid. Certain things had to have quotes, but only those certain things.

We didn't really learn a whole ton about HTML. We were taught to use dream weaver and not to care about how to write the underlying code. lol

#48 einsteinsboi

einsteinsboi

CC Newcomer

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:17 AM

I started in 2004, using notepad, created a really really ugly website using tables, but it worked! I got busy with school and life and revisited HTML again in 2008 and now use notepad++ to code both my (X)HTML and CSS files.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download