Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Which Forum do you prefer?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#13 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

Personally, I think vBulletin is awful. For me, its a close tie between SMF and phpBB though I haven't used phpBB 3 so it might have taken first place by now.

#14 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:55 AM

Is vBulletin free?
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#15 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

No, it is $180 to own or $80 a year I believe.

#16 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:27 AM

Well, that decides it for me then...
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#17 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

You could win the next couple of contests and afford it!

#18 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:43 AM

Yeah LOL! If Methodz doesn't overtake me... hope not.

#19 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:30 AM

I highly recommend using PHPBB3 at phpBB • Creating Communities Worldwide. Its really easy to use and its free. Also since there are hundreds of developers, their security issues are generally closed within a couple of days.

#20 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 11:31 AM

Yes, that's the one I use for mrxav.co.uk • Index page.

#21 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:02 PM

Yes, that's the one I use for mrxav.co.uk • Index page.

The problem I have with phpbb is the administration interface is very hard to navigate and permissions are really tricky. Thats why I normally use the database to work out permissions in PHPBB. I wish it was more simple than having 4 or 5 different places to edit permissions :P

#22 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:53 PM

Forum permissions are a pain in the arse. I have yet to find a forum that implements a decent strategy. I mean, there are forum permissions, group permissions, user permissions, and it just becomes a big headache.

#23 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:49 AM

Forum permissions are a pain in the arse. I have yet to find a forum that implements a decent strategy. I mean, there are forum permissions, group permissions, user permissions, and it just becomes a big headache.

I've seen PHPBB2, Proboards, Invsion Boards, and SMF on top of PHPBB3. I guess out of them all, phpbb2 has the easiest interface because I took the time to learn it thoroughly. I really wish that PHPBB3 would have kept the same system, because anymore, I find it easier to edit permissions directly in the database rather than on the admin panel, and thats sad lol. The DB is supposed to be harder, isn't it? :P

#24 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:15 PM

I suppose the DB should be more difficult, but I too prefer to edit settings directly though the database.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download