Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Removing Laptop Battery

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:31 AM

When I try to turn on my laptop without any battery but plugged in, it boots fine.. but windows does not start.. so is it ok to take out my battery while the laptop is switched on (and windows loaded) so I will only use my laptop on the power supply?

#2 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 04:55 AM

It should be fine to remove the battery whilst Windows is running, as long as there is a mains power supply connected. Whilst it is, I believe the battery is not used, but merely charged. It is only when the mains is disconnected, then the battery is used.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#3 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:47 AM

I was reading online, that it might take up a few charging cycles, although it's not being used.. IDK, some people said it's false.. other said it's true.. my main concern is, as I already said in another thread... that if I leave my laptop overnight with the battery in place and the main supply disconnected it discharges the battery.. so I want to unplug the battery.. but I have to plug it back in for windows to load....

#4 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:52 AM

That's odd. I wonder why... :confused:
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#5 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:58 AM

I know it's odd... :@:@:@

#6 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:05 AM

Suits you fine then. LOL :D

#7 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:14 AM

GRRR!! The sigs and avatar so far are not convincing me.. because you are the same old Xav... a pest..

#8 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:49 AM

LOL Amen to that! And IDK I'll do some research for ya!

#!CrunchBang Linux ~$ apt-get into it | #!(Statler:R20101205): OpenBox | Like Linux?
“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.”

#9 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:24 AM

Well, I fixed it. When you remove the battery it resets the BIOS (or something like that).. because I can overclock it from there, so in case I screw up something and it doesn't boot.. I remove the battery, plug it in and it will reset everything(says it all in the BIOS, I have a dedicated section for overclocking).. So, what I think was happening is.. because there was no battery it resetted the BIOS settings and didn't save them again (because I didn't plug in the battery) so I pressed DEL, set the HDD as boot (DVD-RW Drive was 1st) saved, and then it booted up :D

#10 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:06 AM

Oh o.k, glad to know you got it fixed! :P

#!CrunchBang Linux ~$ apt-get into it | #!(Statler:R20101205): OpenBox | Like Linux?
“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.”

#11 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:36 AM

Yup :D I'm using it without any battery now. When I left work I switched it off, and now I'm back home.. when I booted it up I didn't need to configure the BIOS again.. I think I only need to config the BIOS only the first time when I unplug the battery...

Now it's quite light too.. without the battery.. although I still carry the battery around in my back pack.. just in case.

#12 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:03 AM

The BIOS settıngs are generally stored ın the CMOS battery on the motherboard - the battery shouldn't affect ıt. :confused:

BTW, I do mean ıt ın my avatar and sıg... look, I even went to the effort of downloadıng, resızıng, extractıng, typıng and re-uploadıng a new avatar... all for you. :)

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download