Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

PHP vs Ruby on rails

ruby

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 maxnorman

maxnorman

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:06 PM

I am currently fairly proficient in XHTML and CSS, and I would like to advance my web programming skills. I am trying to decide what database/application programming language I should learn, and it seems that the most popular are PHP and Ruby on Rails.

I want to develop web apps, like social networks, things using Flickr, Digg and other APIs, CMSs, and more. Ruby seems to be the easiest and most logical.

Which one should I pursue?

#2 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 12:36 PM

Well you simply cannot compare php and ruby on rails. You would have to compare ruby and php. RoR is a framework and it is easier to compare RoR and PHP on Trax, Zend Framework, CakePHP, CodeIgniter, or one of the many other php frameworks.

With that said, I do think ruby is here to stay, but I do not think it will ever be nearly as popular as PHP. So my vote goes to learn php.

#3 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 29 July 2008 - 02:10 PM

I agree with John, you can't compare a framework against a language. Ruby vs PHP is what you are after I believe. What little I used of Ruby made me dislike it about as fast. I couldn't stand the fact that ending syntax was optional, it really bothered me (sort of like JavaScript ending syntax is optional). My vote goes for PHP.

#4 jessje

jessje

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:52 AM

I also agree with the others Php has far more adopters then the frameworks even microsoft has''nt been able to get the succes they wanted with their .NET framework.

#5 zeroradius

zeroradius

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

I have never used ruby, but php with MySQL is a powerful tool, if you are looking to make social networking sites it is rather easy with php as long as you take the time to plan everything out before you start codeing.
Posted Image

#6 moonknight

moonknight

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

php pwns ruby
php is more spread through web design
php is more scripting (so if you know html/js its easy)
ruby is like a programming language (i believe)

all this in my opionon

Edited by moonknight, 15 January 2009 - 02:51 PM.
don't want ruby fans hatting me

programming is like s*x................................one mistake an you have to support it the rest of your life

#7 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

I've heard a lot of fans of Ruby, but just can't see the advantage to it over most any other language.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#8 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:51 AM

To me Ruby is like Visual Basic. Very verbal and easy to produce rotten code.

#9 best_links

best_links

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

i think now a days php is the best language for learning and flourishing in web development for advance applications.i suggest you for PHP.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ruby

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download