- - - - -

PC in Infinite Reboot

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4,488 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others
  • Learning:Objective-C

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:49 PM

It's me again...I built a computer at work today for the first time, and of course it didn't work. Funny thing is, I helped one of my coworkers build one and his works just fine. Mine, however, crashes during POST and just restarts, crashes, restarts, etc. indefinitely. No beeps or error messages. It won't even let me enter the BIOS setup utility, even though it says "Press <DEL> to run BIOS setup". I've compared my wiring to my coworker's and they seem to be the same; I've also tried flashing the CMOS and that did nothing either. I just took the motherboard out of the box today; is it possible that something just screwed it up in a few hours?

MoBo: MSI-7325 K9N4 SLI
Power supply: 350W ATX Ultra V Series
BIOS: A7325NMS v1.3
Processor: AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual Core
Hard Drive: Western Digital 80GB (no OS yet)
Peripherals:
> AOperi DVD/CD RW drive
> DB-525 USB FrontConnector Port
> Crappy Floppy Drive
> NVidia GEForce 7200SL video card

#2 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,563 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:58 AM

Might sound stupid, but did you earth yourself and sh*t like that? I think that once screwed a 512Mb RAM module because of that.

Once I had that happening, but at least mine did a beep... it was the RAM was not properly placed. In the POST screen does it detect everything? As HDD etc? or it doesn't give you a chance to take a look at it?

#3 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4,488 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, C++, PHP, Python, JavaScript, Perl, Assembly, Bash, Others

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:27 PM

Yes, I sort of did that, if you mean touching metal stuff touching the ground. It wou'dn't give me a chance to look at the POST screen because the monitor kept going into sleep mode between boots.

My boss fixed it after I left, though. Turns out it was a bad IDE cable to the hard drive, works almost perfectly now. Every now and then it gives me an error during POST saying "Hyper Transport sync flood error occurred on last boot. Press F1 to continue." It'll keep doing that on every boot - warm or cold - until I reset the CMOS. Then it'll be fine, and eventually come back after a while. I've read things about this on the Internet, and they all seem to be with the MSI K9N series motherboards. Some guy said that he called MSI, and they don't even know.

#4 MeTh0Dz

MeTh0Dz

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:22 PM

It's the hard drive.

#5 Dren

Dren

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:19 AM

Ermmm, I think you should check if the processor is in full-contact with the fan and if there isn't any you should add some thermal paste. I think that in most cases where there is no signal or error before rebooting or shutting down is CPU's high temperature.

#6 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:54 AM

How did you install the CPU? Also may have shortened it, by not being "grounded".... May have messed up your Mobo...=X ^^ and he was right with the thermal paste...if not you may have bad connection too...

#!CrunchBang Linux ~$ apt-get into it | #!(Statler:R20101205): OpenBox | Like Linux?
“The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity.”

#7 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4,488 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:06 PM

Well, its not improperly connected because when I press F1 Windows starts up normally and then it works fine. It's just occasionally during boots that it does that. I don't have any thermal paste, but I'm sure it's fine because the status monitor says it's at about 35-40 deg C.

#8 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:11 PM

Hmmm IDK I never install it w/o thermal paste =X.

#!CrunchBang Linux ~$ apt-get into it | #!(Statler:R20101205): OpenBox | Like Linux?

#9 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:32 PM

Sounds like a pretty serious problem! :)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#10 dargueta

dargueta

I chown trolls.

• 4,488 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:50 PM

The sink came with thermal paste, I just don't have any extra. I haven't had the problem recurr in a while. Maybe it's fixed?

#11 Chewie

Chewie

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:41 PM

Hope so!!!!

#12 TkTech

TkTech

The Crazy One

• Retired Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:28 PM

Heyo,
Hyper Transport sync is a feature of Athalon. The couple of times this has happened to me, I just set the timeouts higher. Look in your bios settings under advanced and you should find the settings.

Oh, as a FYI, if you can see anything at all other then a blinking cursor on the screen, POST is already done. POST finishes its tests before the CPU becomes available to the BIOS.
Helpful CODECALL Links: Join Us, Guidelines, FAQ, Post a Tutorial