Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Microsoft.. What do you want me to do?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:05 AM

Well, I've got an original copy of Windows XP, yesterday I changed my HDD, and now when I install it, it says that the key is used at it's most, because it is 'thinking' that that is a new computer.. but it is not!

What is Microsoft expecting from me, just because I changed my HDD I should buy a new key?

What can I do?

#2 F0551L

F0551L

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:15 AM

I recommend going to your buddies house, taking his CD key for XP and don't register. I had the same problem and went to the christian library down the street and wrote down the CD key on the side of the box. As long as you don't register, your golden.

#3 WingedPanther73

WingedPanther73

A spammer's worst nightmare

• 17757 posts
  • Programming Language:C, C++, PL/SQL, Delphi/Object Pascal, Pascal, Transact-SQL, Others
  • Learning:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Lisp, Fortran, Haskell, Others

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:26 AM

You can call MS support and get them to reopen the key. Of course, the whole thing is a great example of why Windows has serious issues for hobbyists.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
My CodeCall Blog | My Personal Blog

My MineCraft server site: http://banishedwings.enjin.com/

#4 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 07:58 AM

@F0551L:
It has WPA, if I don't register within 30 days I won't be able to use them.

@Winged: XP gave me like a 1,000,000 digit number and then I need to call a number... but the number doesn't work, and I'm supposed to enter that 1 million digit number to get another activation code or some **** like that... but the phone number does not work.

#5 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:57 AM

I've seen this happen. MS puts a limit on how many times you can install. You need to do as Winged stated:

You can call MS support and get them to reopen the key. Of course, the whole thing is a great example of why Windows has serious issues for hobbyists.

#6 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:14 AM

As I already told him, the number phone number does not work.

#7 F0551L

F0551L

CC Regular

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

If A and B don't work, try C

C: FInd Microsoft Headquarters, capture 20 hostages and shoot 5 of them. Then state that unless you get a free CD key and five jelly and/or six custard donuts then you will shoot one more every 10 minutes your demand is not met.

#8 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:01 AM

Sounds a great idea.. but that is much more expensive because I have to catch a plane... might as well buy a key or just do it the Jack Sparrow Way!

#9 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:08 AM

lol

Can't you go on microsofts web site and look for tech support and call them or email them?

Seems ridiculous, for them to expect you to buy another key. :(

#10 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

... something that I won't!
I'll MAYBE send them an email....

#11 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:12 PM

You can find the number, that isn't an excuse. :)

#12 MeTh0Dz

MeTh0Dz

CC Leader

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1726 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:50 PM

This actually happened to one of my friends. He had the CD Key pasted on top of his box and it wouldn't work. So I called Microsoft for him (he was adamant that because I know about computers it would help?) and they validated the key on their end and said that it was good to go. I then repeatedly told the customer support technician that it wasn't working and that I was typing it correctly. They then gave me the run around to 4 or 5 different numbers until finally I was disconnected. At that point I told him I would help him another day, and well that day has yet to come.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download