Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Principles of HTML Code Optimization

HTML

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lema25

Lema25

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:00 AM

Just like spring cleaning a house, the html code of your web pages should get periodic cleaning as well. Over time, as changes and updates are made to a web page, the code can become littered with unnecessary clutter, slowing down page load times and hurting the efficiency of your web page. Cluttered html can also seriously impact your search engine ranking.

This is especially true if you are using a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) web design package such as Virginia website design. These programs will speed up your web site creation, but they are not that efficient at writing clean html code.

We will be focusing this discussion on the actual html coding, ignoring other programming languages that may be used in a page such as JavaScript. In the code examples I will be using (and) characters instead of correct html so that the code examples will display properly in this newsletter.

Up until recently when coding a page in HTML we would be using tags such as the (font) tag and (p) paragraph tags. Between these tags would be our page content, text, images and links. Each time a formatting change was made on the page new tags were needed with complete formatting for the new section. More recently we have gained the ability to use Cascading Style Sheets, allowing us to write the formatting once and then refer to that formatting several times within a web page.

#2 jessje

jessje

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

Most modern html editors produce clean code.
Updates to html are needed voor former I.E. only developers now I.E. moves more to respecting html standards.

#3 elvenrunelord

elvenrunelord

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

personally I'm not that concerned with optimized code. None of my work is going to go in a heavy use environment so a millisecond or two difference is not going to matter.

#4 Jones124

Jones124

CC Lurker

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:32 AM

i think u should go for W3C

#5 morefood2001

morefood2001

CC Leader

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1011 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

I use W3C for all validations of Xhtml. I'm a transitional programmer, and I code all my websites by hand with no aid of a WYSIWYG editor.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#6 tecktalk

tecktalk

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 07:22 AM

Yes W3C is good but yet you should use your own code.. and your own validation methods so that you ensure of your errors..
Lyf come without guarantees, except that smiling will brighten ur face, laughing will enhance ur eyes, and falling in luv will change ur lyf

#7 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

I beg your pardon? W3C is good but you should use your own code?

You are confusing W3C with WYSIWIG.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download