Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

- - - - -

MS Ditching XP

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#13 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8356 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:00 PM

I'm getting the feeling you don't really like Microsoft... :)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#14 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 02 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

Yeah I get that idea also. I don't like them that much either. There software literally wrecked my .NET installation and now I can't use any .NET applications. :\

#15 Aereshaa

Aereshaa

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

Well, yeah, I said so at the end of my post. I don't like them because I once used windows because my one of friends said I should try XP ( I had only used linux up till then ). I had reactions like:
"How come I can't drag the taskbar to the top of the screen?"
"Why isn't there a compiler installed?"
"Why is it so **** slow? I bought this computer a year ago!"
"I didn't download any updates, how can it possibly install any?"
"Why can't I just search a repository for software?"
"Why would I need to reboot just because I installed a new program?"
...and so on. To quote Ocean's 11 (I think?) "I had. A bad. Experience."

#16 Turk4n

Turk4n

???

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1919 posts
  • Programming Language:C, Java, PHP, Python, Bash
  • Learning:C++, C#, JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Others

Posted 02 July 2008 - 01:39 PM

Well, I don't like nor hate M$, same goes for Linux and UNIX family. Every OSes has it's pro and con. I find Windows "simple" and Linux "semi" advance.(But that's my "eXPerience") Also I dual boot between Windows XP and Gentoo, so no problem with it.
Still am pretty upset that they going to dump XP. Like they did with Win98, WinME and Win2000.

#17 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 02 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

I don't like them because I once used windows because my one of friends said I should try XP ( I had only used linux up till then ).

Odd, most people start with Windows and migrate to Linux. You are the first person I have ever heard of starting with Linux (and then trying Windows). How is it that you started with Linux first?

#18 Deathcry

Deathcry

CC Resident

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:11 PM

horrible decision. they think everyones computer wants to flip over backwards to support there high requirment OS. pssh. im sticking to xp.
the code is with you

#19 Aereshaa

Aereshaa

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:04 PM

Well, my dad is a university professor, and he always used unix, When he built me a computer, he got a copy of slackware and installed it, and until grade 3 when I first used a library computer, I thought everyone used linux or AIX or BSD or..
So I was always used to a lot of power, and contrary to what most think, linux was actually pretty easy for me to learn. Having to learn windows for school, however, was an exercise in decreasing my expectations of what a computer should do.

#20 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:38 AM

Excellent decision on your father's part! Once I have kids I believe I'm going to start them with Linux.

#21 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 03 July 2008 - 05:10 AM

I either plan on getting a linux installation or mac os X when I get older. I'm a little tired of windows just doing stupid little things every once and awhile. My dad just upgraded our computer two years ago, so we could have more memory which seemed to make Windows XP run faster but the computer store said that it's still not good enough to run Windows Vista very well so we can't get it. :\ although we could have picked up a Windows Vista compatible computer for $1000 but that's a little cheap and I don't know if it would work the best.

#22 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:19 AM

But MS haven't done everything wrong. Remember, even though Apple Corp invented the GUI, Microsoft made it famous. Without them, it wouldn't have taken off in the same way. With Bill Gates, he brought so much in terms of computing into the world, so we should all be grateful. :)
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#23 Aereshaa

Aereshaa

CC Devotee

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:45 PM

Yeah, they brought a computer into every home, and gave it a buggy, slow OS, and lowered the bar in terms of security until it was simple to roll a penny over it. Hopefully the bar will turn out to be rubber, and bounce.
Also, I've noticed a few things since vista came out: People talking about microsoft in the past tense. "It wouldn't" "he brought" "microsoft made it famous". I've noticed it more and more. Does this imply that microsoft is dyng in the public mind?
Microsoft is far from dying. They still have billions of dollars to spend. Hopefully they'll turn out the Mini-Windows, or MinWin, a lot of people have been hoping for.

#24 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

Yeah, they need something really revolutionary in order to get rid of all these bad impressions...

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download