Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

W3 Validator

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#25 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3038 posts
  • Programming Language:Java, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:54 AM

Yeah I find validating your pages is good but it's not necessary. When you validate PHP pages do you have to enter your PHP code or do you have to run the file in the server first and then validate it? I would imagine if you ran the actual PHP file through the validator it wouldn't validate because of file includes and parts of the HTML code being located in a separate file.

#26 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:01 AM

Yeah, you just validate the HTML page at the end.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#27 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts
  • Learning:C, Java, C++, C#, PHP, JavaScript, Ruby, Transact-SQL, Assembly, Scheme, Haskell, Others

Posted 30 June 2008 - 04:24 PM

I don't bother validating my pages because I try to make them just work :)

#28 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:53 AM

Well, it's nice to see if you're coding properly...
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#29 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:47 AM

It is nice to see if they validate but I just assume that they do LOL

bad habit I know :)

#30 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:53 AM

Yeah... although websites such as Google and CodeCall don't pass validation either.

#31 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:56 AM

If it doesn't pass validation, I don't think it matters that much. Google and code call are both useful and both load fast, code call is fun and looks great. So i don't care that it doesn't validate :D

#32 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 12:13 PM

Yep, as long as it works in major browsers, it's probably OK. The validators point out any big mistakes, though.

#33 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:45 PM

The validators point out quite a lot of things but I don't care really. If it looks good and works properly, I'm happy :D

#34 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:23 AM

Yeah me too. I mean if M$ doesn't care to make their IE according to the standards, why should I care to make my small site according to the standards?

#35 chili5

chili5

CC Mentor

• Expert Member
  • 3038 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:57 AM

When I was taught HTML/CSS in school, we didn't even learn that their were standards. It just had to look good in the web browser that the school had which was IE6 :o

I agree, if Microsoft doesn't make their browser conform to the standards, why should our little site conform to every little standard?

#36 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

It was worse in our school. We were not told about doctypes, self-closing tags, lower case blah blah. They made us use <CENTER> tags (depreciated), <b> tags (depreciated) and even <s> for strike-through (depreciated). CSS was not even mentioned, and everyone's pages were nothing like similar to each other.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download