Check out our Community Blogs

Register and join over 40,000 other developers!

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Photo
- - - - -

Who is running Vista?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7563 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:42 AM

It's been quite sometime now that Vista is released. Who is running it? Are you planning to install it? What do you think of the Aero and Vista functions? What annoys you?

I am running it on my laptop. Personally, I will not revert back to XP. At first I really hated it, but by time I got used to it and it has some good functionalities that I like over XP. Personally, I find the Aero thing cool, but that for sure is not the thing that is keeping me from reverting back to XP, but yeah it can be quite cool.

There are quite a few things that do annoy me for example the resources that they take. In order to format my laptop I had to install XP because I only have a vista recovery disc, and XP ran so fast on my laptop, took no more than 3 seconds to bootup and no more than 7 minutes to install, but Vista of course takes quite sometime to install, but it's quite fast to boot. Another thing that annoys me is the fact that when you install an update and reboot it does not boot, it just displays a blank screen, then I reboot and it boots ok.

But so far no incompatibility issues for me and DirectX 10 ROCKS!

What are your views/comments?

#2 Acheron

Acheron

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 11:24 AM

I don't have much of a choice since there are no official XP drivers for my laptop and so i need to find them elsewhere.
However,some functionalities i do like more than vista and i just love the environment so i am not gonna change it for now but i am rather sure i would think different if i had been using less ram :P

For the more advanced stuff like virtual systems where i need more ram, i still use XP.
Posted Image

#3 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:47 AM

My dad runs Vista. I'm still on XP with my laptop, and so is my school, so I'm alright for now.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#4 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

After I installed Vista - I will never go back to Windows :)

#5 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:54 PM

What version of vista is your dad running?

EDIT: Lol at John. Why?

#6 John

John

CC Mentor

• 4450 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:27 PM

Too slow.

#7 Guest_Jordan_*

Guest_Jordan_*

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:38 PM

I've got it running on one computer at work (business edition) and my new laptop will have ultimate on it. I like it. At first nothing worked but I believe they have resolved most of those issues. The one thing that I need to work is Netmeeting with application sharing (I've gotten netmeeting working fine but I can't share my own screen). Other than that I see no reason not to use Vista instead of XP for work.

I did notice some odd things happening with Active Perl and Cygwin.

#8 phpforfun

phpforfun

Speaks fluent binary

• Expert Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1056 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:36 PM

if anyone needs vista, PM me, I have a ton of legal keys

#9 Chinmoy

Chinmoy

CC Addict

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

Is sharing legal keys legal?

God is real... unless declared an integer

my blog :: http://techarraz.com/

#10 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 04:06 AM

He will not share legal keys (that would become illegal) but he can give you legal keys (and cannot give that key to someone else)

#11 Xav

Xav

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 8356 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

What version of vista is your dad running?

Home Premium. Once he got used to it, it's worked perfectly with all his peripherals and software - I don't know what the fuss is all about.
If you enjoy reading this discussion and are thinking about commenting, why not click here to register and start participating in under a minute?

#12 TcM

TcM

CC Mentor

• VIP Member
  • 7563 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 01:32 PM

Yup.. I must admit it can be quite buggy at first, but after a few updates it's ok.

Recommended from our users: Dynamic Network Monitoring from WhatsUp Gold from IPSwitch. Free Download